Hello from San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
I'd definitely recommend coir, personally. Coir/spagnum moss and coir/soil mixtures are awesome. Or you could go 100% coir, but you have to be sure to spray the top layer fairly often (or get a humidifier) or else it can get dusty.

But I keep a Marginated and a Hermann's. You may get other, better suggestions from Sulcata keepers, but if you won't click the links, at least you'll read this post (and maybe the ones to follow ;)).

Kalgodric

5 Year Member
WoW I feel really bad :( The guys at the pet shop told me to use this substrate and also told me not to put a water dish inside his habitat. "Keep it dry, they are desert animals, he just needs to soak a couple times a week" I read the links you posted for me and now I'm all worried that I may have hurt my friend. Is there any way I can tell?
First thing in the morning I'm headed out to get new substrate and a water dish....I am not happy....I hope I didnt hurt him :(

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Your friend will be fine as long as you make the changes you saw in the links. I will tell you from first hand experience. I told my husband babe she is only 60$ super easy to care for. I was going to put her in my kids room.. She has her own room attached to mine so I can watch her all the time. Sadly pet stores know nothing, thank god I found this site. After reading Toms links my 60$ turtle turned into a 200$ turtle so far... I love her though. Here is what I ended up with.

image-3595766146.png

image-1261928934.png

Hope this helps! :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
hehehehe.... this happens SOOOOOO often! The Guys and Gals at the pet store are just regular people making minimum wage at a job that they took just to earn money for rent and food. There knowledge should ALWAYS be suspect unless they claim to be a breeder or keeper themselfs (even then should be suspect!).Most times they only know what outdated books will tell them.

Cathie got WalkingRock 11 years ago from a breeder that told her the same thing. How WalkingRock got away without pyramiding, I don't know but it could be because he told her to use Vita-Shell on his shell during every growth period. Today he is happy and healthy with just a couple of minor bumps and lumps.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Kalgodric said:
WoW I feel really bad :( The guys at the pet shop told me to use this substrate and also told me not to put a water dish inside his habitat. "Keep it dry, they are desert animals, he just needs to soak a couple times a week" I read the links you posted for me and now I'm all worried that I may have hurt my friend. Is there any way I can tell?
First thing in the morning I'm headed out to get new substrate and a water dish....I am not happy....I hope I didnt hurt him :(

Like everyone else said once you make the neccasary changes he will be fine because I have seen little ones survive through a lot here on the forum :)

IMG_5586.jpg

This is what my sullies enclosure looks like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.