Hello From Montana

kesh2l

5 Year Member
Hello my name is Keshia i obtained a three toed box turtle this last july.. well my son did from his grandparents they caught what i thought was a him but found out last night is a her when we went to feed her this morning we where shocked to find Tommy was in fact a Tammy and had laid two eggs. since she was in the wild up until July is it possible that these eggs are fertile? if so what do i do to give them a chance to hatch. the turtles enclosure is inside my house in the summer i take her outside but since this is Montana i don't anymore for obvious reasons. please any info and help wil be greatly appreciated

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Keshia welcome to the TFO
Turtles and torts can store spearmint their bodies they don't need a male every year to lay eggs so the eggs are
More likely fertal but I think you got to keep the eggs at 86 degrees and moist

kesh2l

5 Year Member
Right now I have them under a heat light in a flower pot with soil not sure on the temp yet ill be getting a thermometer today

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have no idea ???? But welcome to TFO . Make sure if you move them to keep the egg in the same position you found it . It will kill the little guy or girl if you turn it upside down .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You need an incubator and that heat lamp will dry them out and kill the embryos. Better to leave them in a closed deli cup with the lid on in a warm spot, like on top of the fridge, until you get an incubator set up and running at the right temps. A few days of room temp won't hurt them. Baking them under a lamp will. Incubators can be found at most feed stores for about $50. Little Giant or Hovabator are the two main brands. You just want the regular "still air" type.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL, Grampa turtle!!! Darned auto correct. Keshia, I think he meant to tell you that tortoises and turtles can store SPERM for several years, so the eggs your turtle laid could very well be fertile. Place them in moist potting soil in a deli-cup with several holes punched around the edge of the top, and keep the soil moist. I have hatched box turtle eggs with the cup sitting on top of the water heater.

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you here with us.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Back in the covered wagon days, I would use damp paper towels, put them in a bowl (actually I used a small turtle shaped planter) and placed it up in an unused cupboard. Would keep the towels damp. Some how they managed to hatch. ... and no, I am not recommending you to do that since times and knowledge have changed.

kesh2l

5 Year Member
Ok so I got an incubator now to get deli dishes thank you all so much without your input I would be list and i fear so would these baby's!!

will dented eggs still hatch?

kesh2l

5 Year Member
We have a third egg!!! and its not dented this is an experiance i will post a pic of the was Tommy now Tammy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, a dented egg will hatch if it is fertile. The dent usually happens because the egg isn't being kept moist enough. Once you add some humidity to your little deli cups the egg should plump up.

kesh2l

5 Year Member
Ok I'm trying to get the incubator to where it's holding at a temp. So I have them in a deli dish in a warm spot with lots of moisture

kesh2l

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384759896.474105.jpg
This is Tammy she is a wonderful turtle who is teaching my son and I allot about her. I thought you all would like to see her and would enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator: