Hello From Michigan!

RedwingJV

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
Hello I am going to be a tortoise owner and any experienced keepers' recommendations are welcomed :). Any ideas on outdoor enclosure blueprints are appreciated. Is a 5x5 enclosure good for the winter months? My other pets include a betta fish in a planted 5g, a Heterometrus Spinifer in a 10g, a juvenille corn snake in a 20 long, and a Yellow Bellied Slider in a 120 gallon. Attached is a picture of my tortoise setup, is it too cluttered or is it fine for a Testudo Hermanni Boettegeri?

62676140285__B91CE431-3F1B-4BFF-AB49-3C0F7CCAF645.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Will you be getting a hatchling or an adult?

Maybe it's just the lighting, but it looks like water in the enclosure? Since it's probably not water, what is in there?

If you're getting a baby, that enclosure would be OK for some outside time, but for a baby it's completely wrong to live in.

If you're getting an adult, it's way too small.

Here's our care sheet for Hermann's. Read it, and then come back with your questions. We'll help you set up an enclosure that will help your tortoise thrive.

It's great that you found us before you have the tort!

RedwingJV

Detroit, Michigan
I am getting a sub adult/ juvenille. It is almost full size but not quite. The substrate is organic topsoil. My plan is to have a mercury vapor for the basking area supplemented with a 10.0 36in uvb bulb across the middle. I don't plan to have the tortoise indoors permanently. Is it ok to have the 5x5 enclosure solely for the winter months? Like I said I don't plan on keeping him inside permanently, I live in the great white north of Michigan and I cannot keep him outside for ~4 mos of the year, but the rest of the year should be fine. Once March/April hits I plan on making an outdoor enclosure as big as possible

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll be sorry you've used dirt. . . very messy. My substrate of choice is fine grade fir bark, but lots of members use coco coir or cypress mulch.

RedwingJV

Detroit, Michigan
I am fine with messy. I may mix with cypress mulch if I notice issues. What do you think as far as my enclosure size/layout goes?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I can't get past the black dirt. He's going to track that all over his food, then eat it an become impacted.

The enclosure looks fine, but you'll need a plant saucer sunk down into the dirt for water. And I'd like to see the lighting arrangement.

RedwingJV

Detroit, Michigan
I have since added a terra cotta water dish after taking the pic. The lighting isnt set up will update when I finish rigging it up

RedwingJV

Detroit, Michigan
How much cypress would you mix to consider the enclosure "safe"? I was not aware topsoil would cause impaction issues.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
From Hermanni Haven: "The substrate can be up to 4” deep to allow for burrowing. Burrowing is 100% normal! Do not be alarmed by his behavior while they are this young. They are babies after all and babies sleep. I also recommend adding cypress mulch as a 2” top layer but you can also mix it in to the existing substrate. The mulch aids in keeping an adequate humidity level which should be around 70%."

Even with the bark over it, they'll still find a way to make a mess, especially in the water. But the bark does help minimize it, especially when it comes to getting the soil stuck up in their sensitive bits :D

Welcome to the forum!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Organic topsoil can have all sorts of things that could be harmful(pine oils, acidic decaying bits). I have a Russian on 4” of cypress mulch and no issues with plenty of room to fully bury himself.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
@Blackdog1714 Do you think adding a top layer of mulch like ~1-2'' would be good then?
I would remove the topsoil and use it in separate pots to grow tort food. Cypress mulch is cheaper per bag than any topsoil. Also topsoil often have sand and that is all around bad for eyes and impaction

RedwingJV

Detroit, Michigan
I already have quite a bit of the topsoil in there. The mixture I used has 10% or less sand in it as per manufacturer, and many people on this forum have used it in mixtures from what I have seen. Removing all of that topsoil is not incredibly realistic, I am just wondering how much mulch to add.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It looks like it could handle a 4” depth on top of the soil and since humidity will not be as high as for a redfoot it shouldn’t get messy. Also it looks like to still have enough wall to prevent climbing out

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok thank you I will keep that in mind.
I am from Michigan now in Chicago. I know your weather and temps very well. I'm either visiting MI or you are having the same temps as us in Chicago. In fact we usually get less harsh then most of your state. You will be keeping him inside for more then 4 months. Even if the days get warm for a short visit outside, the nights are way too cold. He will be lucky to be outside full time for 4-5 months.
The enclosure is too small. Should be minimum 4x8 feet for subadult to adult. Hatchling would be fine in that enclosure.

RedwingJV

Detroit, Michigan
@wellington Ok thanks for the response. What would you reccomend to make the enclosure larger? Since it is currently 5x5, a 4x2 area added on would make my enclosure slightly larger than a 4x8.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington Ok thanks for the response. What would you reccomend to make the enclosure larger? Since it is currently 5x5, a 4x2 area added on would make my enclosure slightly larger than a 4x8.
You could get a large plastic tote storage box. Cut a hole in the end and then a hole in the enclosure you have now. Making sure the two holes will match up.