Hello from Georgia!

lflinton

Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia, USA
Hey guys! I am not a tortoise owner quite yet, but I am looking to get one in the next couple months. I am from South Georgia and leaning towards a Hermans but considering smaller species up to the size of a red foot. My main priority is that it can be housed outdoors most of the time as an adult, but ease of bringing him in depending on weather or if I have to travel to the vet as I doubt there are any that would come out to our house if I had a Sulcata and couldn't transport! The more I read, the harder the decision gets! I have looked for rescues but don't see many in my area from internet sources so I would definitely consider rescue/adoption as well as the younger torts. I have enjoyed reading the posts so far and most of my questions have been answered already, this is definitely the best resource I have found!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Have you discovered our care sheets? Pinned at the top of most of the species is a care sheet. Reading these might be helpful in deciding which species to get.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Glad you like it here.
Read, learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum from WA. Georgia seems like a great place to keep a tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I think either species would do great living outside for most of the year as an adult. You'd have to bring the RF in to a heated and lit enclosure in the winter, but you could hibernate the hermanni.

lflinton

South Georgia, USA
Thanks! Yes I have read them and I keep going back and forth. Luckily I have a husband who builds cabinets so I'll have him build an indoor enclosure as well for the short time is does get cold here. We are about to get started on landscaping the yard so I'm looking into tortoise friendly plants and wanna get the enclosure set up done right so I'm not in a big hurry. I have three dogs but the only one that would be able to even step over the enclosure fence is a big guy. Not much for chew toys abut I'd rather not give him the opportunity so I've seen some great ideas we will work on in the meantime.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum.