Hello from Florida!

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I have been rescuing sulcatas for 15 years and when I find them a good home I still hate too see them go. Each one has there own personality. I do not breed them because there are so many unwanted tortoise out there. You may want to try a recue.

Varynox

Ok thank you guys for the help i will be getting a Yellow Footed Tortoise because it fits all my needs

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Also i plan to get a new tortoise on Feb 5th
Hope you can get all the equipment you need and set up the tortoise home before he arrives. So much easier if you have all your temps, humidity. substrate etc right and less stressful for the tort if everything is ready for him.
As its been a couple of years since your last tort and you in case you need memory jogging about equip you need my shopping list would include (*depending on your species and climate)
*mercury vapour bulb - MVB - for heat light and uvb in one bullb
(OR some other form of light heat and uvb source)
*Ceramic heat emitter - CHE - (if low temps at night)
*thermostat for CHE
ceramic bulb holders with wide domes (deep domes could make bulbs overheat)
digital temp gun - makes easy work of spot checking 4 areas - more accurate than dial sort
digital thermometer/humidity guage with probe
correct substrate as recommended by caresheet for chosen species
shallow terracotta plant saucers for water dish, big enough for tort to soak in can be used for food too.
plants for enclosure (see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants - shop bought need repotting and time to grow out any fertilisers chemical sprays etc)
a hide (e.g.upturned plastic bowl/container )
Apologies if you already know all this from your research!
The Enclosures thread has some great ideas. and Beginners Mistakes (link below) will teach you some do's and don'ts
Good luck!!

Varynox

I have everything but the lighting.Would i need LED lighting and MVB or just MVB

Varynox

Hope you can get all the equipment you need and set up the tortoise home before he arrives. So much easier if you have all your temps, humidity. substrate etc right and less stressful for the tort if everything is ready for him.
As its been a couple of years since your last tort and you in case you need memory jogging about equip you need my shopping list would include (*depending on your species and climate)
*mercury vapour bulb - MVB - for heat light and uvb in one bullb
(OR some other form of light heat and uvb source)
*Ceramic heat emitter - CHE - (if low temps at night)
*thermostat for CHE
ceramic bulb holders with wide domes (deep domes could make bulbs overheat)
digital temp gun - makes easy work of spot checking 4 areas - more accurate than dial sort
digital thermometer/humidity guage with probe
correct substrate as recommended by caresheet for chosen species
shallow terracotta plant saucers for water dish, big enough for tort to soak in can be used for food too.
plants for enclosure (see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants - shop bought need repotting and time to grow out any fertilisers chemical sprays etc)
a hide (e.g.upturned plastic bowl/container )
Apologies if you already know all this from your research!
The Enclosures thread has some great ideas. and Beginners Mistakes (link below) will teach you some do's and don'ts
Good luck!!
Also do you know when to clean the tortoise table like every month or shorter and will a mvb be a substitute for a basking light?

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have been rescuing sulcatas for 15 years and when I find them a good home I still hate too see them go. Each one has there own personality. I do not breed them because there are so many unwanted tortoise out there. You may want to try a recue.
A "rescue" in Florida is something I tried very hard to find in the past.
IMO the one that I found was NO rescue. The only other person I know that dealt with them came away with the same feeling...as well as no tortoise.
I applaud you and your work. An honest and serious true rescue is a wonderful thing.
They are MUCH needed.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
A lot of people do it with all the wrong intentions $$$$. I do it for the animal and when I say rescue I meant I take in unwanted tortoises. The only time I rehome them is if its for education groups. I do have a few I have raised my self and I will sell them for more space.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Don't know if you ever got an answer to your question about which to get, a LED or MVB. You only need a MVB since it not only provides UV rays, but also heat.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Hello and welcome. I would recommend Red or Yellow footed tort for Florida.

Lots of Florida keepers on this site to help you out..... Best of luck

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Ok thank you guys for the help i will be getting a Yellow Footed Tortoise because it fits all my needs

Yellow foots are really nice, but they can also grow quite big (not as big as a Sulcata, but still too big to fit in a regular terrarium or table). Average size is 16 inch shell length, up to 35 inch maximum for an adult. Does this still fit into your plan?

Good luck preparing your tortoise home!

Varynox

Yellow foots are really nice, but they can also grow quite big (not as big as a Sulcata, but still too big to fit in a regular terrarium or table). Average size is 16 inch shell length, up to 35 inch maximum for an adult. Does this still fit into your plan?

Good luck preparing your tortoise home!
Is there any smaller tortoise?