Hello from Bloomington, CA!

NewTortEnthusiast

Location (City and/or State)
Bloomington, CA
Hello all, my name is Ulysses. I live in San Bernardino, more specifically Bloomington if you have ever heard of it; a small unincorporated area with a lot of lots, mostly hispanic families, and pretty good sized front and back yards. I am a somewhat new enthusiast when it comes to tortoises. I have two CDTs, as well as two 2 year old sulcata tortoises I have recently purchased from a close neighbor. I do believe he lied about the age of the sulcatas as they look around 18 months to me, but I could be off a bit or they are just a bit small for their age.

As of right now I am working on perfecting my enclosures for my tortoises, as well as a space temporarily for my older brother's russian tortoise.

IMG_5433.JPG IMG_5432.JPG IMG_5428.JPG

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Edit: my large CDT is Maria, my smaller male is Thundercrown. My two sulcata tortoises are named George (the larger one) and Steve (the smaller one). My brother's russian tortoise is named Alia.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
A big Welcome to our forums from a fellow CDT keeper. It is difficult to keep two CDTs together, especially if one or both of then is male. Two females together may be possible if they are allowed a good deal of space, with line of sight hides. Your Sulcatas cannot be kept in common with your CDTs, indeed, they should never share a common space or a space where one species has lived in recent months due to the possible spread of parasites and disease. Do you have a large enough yard to properly steward these tortoises? The picture of your CDT is beautiful and I'm eager to see more. Again . . . Welcome!

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
A big Welcome to our forums from a fellow CDT keeper. It is difficult to keep two CDTs together, especially if one or both of then is male. Two females together may be possible if they are allowed a good deal of space, with line of sight hides. Your Sulcatas cannot be kept in common with your CDTs, indeed, they should never share a common space or a space where one species has lived in recent months due to the possible spread of parasites and disease. Do you have a large enough yard to properly steward these tortoises? The picture of your CDT is beautiful and I'm eager to see more. Again . . . Welcome!

I have 2 large front yards and a massive back yard and lot also owned by my family, all of which is fenced and or bricked off so neither of my tortoises can escape. My father as recently taken a 100ft x 200ft area which I once kept my smaller CDT, my female was held in a pen which was 150ft x 220ft I believe. My father has since taken this space back from me to in hopes of adding additons to our rental properties we have. As of right now I am keeping my two CDTs in my mother's (mostly dirt and one tree) garden area which has naturally grown various desert grasses. This garden is walled off in the shape of a large horseshoe, probably 1200 square feet. They are separated from each other by a temporary brick wall I put up so they cannot dig out and be with each other in the meantime. I know that their enclosure is horribly set up, but within a few weeks I plan on rebuilding their enclosures eslewhere in my front yard possibly. As for my sulcata tortoises I have them in another horseshoe shaped garden temporarily as well. I'd rather not share pictures of their temporary enclosures for it was the best I could do for them in the meanwhile, since my father forced me to move them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have 2 large front yards and a massive back yard and lot also owned by my family, all of which is fenced and or bricked off so neither of my tortoises can escape. My father as recently taken a 100ft x 200ft area which I once kept my smaller CDT, my female was held in a pen which was 150ft x 220ft I believe. My father has since taken this space back from me to in hopes of adding additons to our rental properties we have. As of right now I am keeping my two CDTs in my mother's (mostly dirt and one tree) garden area which has naturally grown various desert grasses. This garden is walled off in the shape of a large horseshoe, probably 1200 square feet. They are separated from each other by a temporary brick wall I put up so they cannot dig out and be with each other in the meantime. I know that their enclosure is horribly set up, but within a few weeks I plan on rebuilding their enclosures eslewhere in my front yard possibly. As for my sulcata tortoises I have them in another horseshoe shaped garden temporarily as well. I'd rather not share pictures of their temporary enclosures for it was the best I could do for them in the meanwhile, since my father forced me to move them.

Hey, never feel embarrassed of what you think others will talk badly about....CDTs are a species that likes to walk alot...but are a forgiving species....so work with what you have and never apologize...same goes for the Sulcata..if there is anyone here who speaks bad to you...ignore the negative and pull anything positive to help aid you in their set up.....beautiful CDT by the way :)

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Hey, never feel embarrassed of what you think others will talk badly about....CDTs are a species that likes to walk alot...but are a forgiving species....so work with what you have and never apologize...same goes for the Sulcata..if there is anyone here who speaks bad to you...ignore the negative and pull anything positive to help aid you in their set up.....beautiful CDT by the way :)

Thank you for the kind words. I feel somewhat intimidated by some of you well experienced members, especially those who know quite a deal about CDTs and other species. I have had my CDTs for several years now, my brother found them in a local park a few miles away from my house, clearly abandoned as there was no way they could have lived anywhere near there. Until just recently (few months) did I identify them as CDTs. Luckily the setups I have had in the past were fairly adequate for them. I am in the process of having them registered so I may keep them and take them to receive treatment in the future. I am becoming more and more independent and am taking full responsibility to give these tortoise and my others the best possible living conditions and legal standings.

Thank you.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Thank you for the kind words. I feel somewhat intimidated by some of you well experienced members, especially those who know quite a deal about CDTs and other species. I have had my CDTs for several years now, my brother found them in a local park a few miles away from my house, clearly abandoned as there was no way they could have lived anywhere near there. Until just recently (few months) did I identify them as CDTs. Luckily the setups I have had in the past were fairly adequate for them. I am in the process of having them registered so I may keep them and take them to receive treatment in the future. I am becoming more and more independent and am taking full responsibility to give these tortoise and my others the best possible living conditions and legal standings.

Thank you.
You sound like every effort is being made to accomodate your tortoises well. We all learn by experience: our own as well as that of others. Your area should have a plentiful supply of tortoise friendly weeds and cacti. Should grape or mulberry leaves be available, your torts will love you for them. I cheat a bit and offer our's the occasional strawberry. . . they come a running at the sight of one. Enjoy!