Hello Everyone!

Toastyknickers

Location (City and/or State)
Dayton, OH
I am brand new to both this forum and tortoise care but not turtles entirely.

My name is Toasty and I live in Southern Ohio in Dayton. My wife and I are both avid animal lovers and currently have our small "zoo" of overly loved pets. We have a large tank of assorted fish and aquatic animals as well as a Quaker Parrot and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We are always interested in the next pet adventure as well as keeping out current animals as happy and as cared for as possible.

As a child I was given a red eared slider turtle to care for and was able to keep him for many years before a growth defect took him from me. Looking back I may have been too young and thus unable to give him the care he truly needed. I have however, always been fascinated with returning to the turtle and tortoise world once I felt I knew enough.

Our next addition to the family has been decided as a tortoise. I am here on the forums to learn as much as possible from everybody as well as keep myself informed on the current trends and knowledge that is available. My wife and I are thinking about a Hermann's or Russian tortoise due to current size restrictions we have to place on the indoor enclosure. This size restriction does leave what seems to be considered a "large" amount of space for one tortoise enclosure luckily.

Any information or tips are GREATLY appreciated and I would love to talk with as many people as possible to learn as much as I can before embarking on my families next adventure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Depending on the size of the enclosure that you have room for and if you can keep it outside for at least the warmer parts of the year will weigh heavily on what you get. Welcome. READ.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. They are both great choises , but will you be happy with just the one you choose . 15 years ago I would have said yes but once you get one you' lol want more just as I have . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422379033.362236.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422379071.782872.jpggood luck with your choice :)

Toastyknickers

Dayton, OH
Depending on the size of the enclosure that you have room for and if you can keep it outside for at least the warmer parts of the year will weigh heavily on what you get. Welcome. READ.

I have a few plans in my head about a small and even mobile outdoor enclosure for the summer months of the year when the whole "Family" is outside. I am really excited to keep learning about all the different species and to find one that would fit our family perfectly.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
how much indoor space do you have. I would read the caresheets on the different breeds. But I do know that even a Russian needs more indoor space than you think, but they are great little ones.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

(I'm glad that your knickers are toasty. It's raining here and mine are quite cool!)

Take a look at these two web sites:

www.HERMANNIHAVEN.com
www.GARDENSTATETORTOISE.com

Chris is a member and a sponsor of the Forum, and he's got great info on Hermann's tortoises. I wish I could point you to a Russian web site as well thought out as the hermann's is, but suffice it to say, read our care sheet at the top of the Russian section. You will gain insight and knowledge and both places might help you make a decision.

Toastyknickers

Dayton, OH
Thank you everybody so much! I have so many tabs open to read now!

To Heather - I don't have any exact measurements right now but I do know it is a corner space of my home that is at least 4 or 5 foot square with plans similar to some I have seen the the "Indoor Enclosure" forums

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Thank you everybody so much! I have so many tabs open to read now!

To Heather - I don't have any exact measurements right now but I do know it is a corner space of my home that is at least 4 or 5 foot square with plans similar to some I have seen the the "Indoor Enclosure" forums
Oh ok