Hello Everyone - potential tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
Hello,

I'm Joanne from Lancashire, UK. I'm considering buying a tortoise as a pet and I have come on here to ask some questions before I take the plunge. I have done a lot of reading over the last couple of days, and this morning I went to my local reptile shop and held a Horsefield Tortoise, he was very cute!

I was also given a start up list with all the things I "need", but I'm dubious about most of it.

3ft vivarium, heat mat, spot bulb, uv tube, 2 x thermometers, 2 x feeding dishes, 2 x 4KG bags of herbi floor, 170g dry tortoise food, tortoise manual, XL tortoise hut, 50g nutrobal calcium.

I personally want a table. I have the heating on all the time set to 15*C during the day when we are out, but there will be a heating lamp on the table. The man at the shop said it is difficult to get table temperatures warm enough.

Also, would I need a heat mat? I didn't think I would. I did see a few mentions of ceramic heating 'bulbs' to keep some warmth in the evening.

My preferred substrate would be soil and sand mix too. Then I can plant plants in there to make it interesting.

Also, I read that a dry food isn't the best. Or do you just feed them that over the time when weeds are hard to come by?

Other than those few niggles I think I know what I need.

Also, sorry for leaving such a long first post! I will appreciate any advice given.

Thanks!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi Joanne. Welcome to the forum. It is so great that you are doing your research before jumping into the world of tortoises. It is really more than just getting a pet, and becomes your hobby really. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.