Hello and SULCATA HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, UK
Hello everyone,

I really like this forum, I red already a lot of threads and finally I decided to register myself as well!!
I am Carlotta from UK (I am Italian but I live in UK) and I am a new owner of a “baby” Sulcata.
I didn’t know a lot about Sulcata before deciding to have one; I have 5 tortoises in my parents’ house in Italy (3 Hermann, 1 Marginated and 1 crossbreed Marginated and Greek) so my experience was limited to European breed!!
I decided for a Sulcata because they do not hibernate (I do not have a proper place for hibernation as I do not have my own garden).
The girl that gave me the tortoise sad she/he is 18 months old, she was hatched by one of her friend and she has been wormed.
Here my concern: the tortoise is very small for a Sulcata of 18 month!!!
When at home I weighed her and she was 64 grams and less than 7 cm long!!
I have her since one week, she is very active and she is gaining weigh (now she is 68 grams) but I would like to know if it is possible for a 18 month sulcata to be so small and what could it be the consequence of that!
Just to be more precise I am housing her in a box with UV/heating lamp (80cm x 40 cm) and I am planning to have a bigger tortoise table. The substrate is a tortoise soil and she has a pot as house and hay where she can hide along with water tray!!
I am feeding her with hay, dandelion, red leaf, lamb lettuce and freshly cut grass plus some tortoise food (low protein, high fibres and Calcium) and I bath her once a day as she doesn’t drink so much.
I attach some pictures of my baby and I will wait for your expert opinion and suggestion!!
Thank you very much,

Carlotta

Attachments

• IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 40

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Yes. She is very undersized for her age. Somewhere around 800-1000 grams by that age would be the middle of "normal". This happens sometimes. Usually it is due to not enough hydration, not enough food, the wrong kinds of food, or the wrong temps.

At this point, all you can do is offer good foods, lots of hydration, and the right temps. Many of them pull through just fine. Yours looks really good and healthy, just small for the age. If you click the signatures in my links, you will see some threads outlined my way of keeping them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Carlotta:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Hi Tom,
Thank you very much for the replay!!! I will try to do my very best to keep her in good condition!!
I really hope she can growth nice and healthy with my care!!!
Thanks again
Carlotta

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Carlotta84 said:
Hi Tom,
Thank you very much for the replay!!! I will try to do my very best to keep her in good condition!!
I really hope she can growth nice and healthy with my care!!!
Thanks again
Carlotta

I had a small one that was about that size, but highly pyramided and in worse shape. It took around two years, but she did finally start growing, and continues to grow to this day. She's now around 12 pounds at 5 years old. Still on the small side, but amazing to me, given her start.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

WOW! your 18 month old Sulcata is only slightly larger than my 6 month old Leopard. Abit under sized maybe but with proper care, he/she should come around!

Is your garden gonna be big enough for a full grown Sulcata to live in year 'round?

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Hi Zamric,
at the moment I do not have my own garden!! My house/country is temporary (depending on the job) but I will have a good size garden in the next couple of years!! In the meantime she can have the spare room in the flat and the common garden!!
Now she is in a tortoise table and I let her out in the flat or in the garden when I am around!! She is very curious!!!

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Hi Everyone!!
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advises for my little sulcata!!!
May I introduce you my lovely "Italian" :tort:??
Three of them are Hermann and one should be a crossbreed between a Marginated and a Greek!!
And then my big boy Arturo :cool: (Marginated)!!!

Carlotta

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    882.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 17052009362.jpg
    17052009362.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.