Heeeeeelp (bugs in the substrate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckandAsh

5 Year Member
So i was peaking at Odyss and i noticed these little white bugs in the coco coir!!!! Does any one know about this ? Should i change his bedding? Please help

ChuckandAsh

5 Year Member
dannel said:
Pictures of the bugs?

I will try to take a picture but they are really small and fast so I'm not sure if I'll get it on camera. He has ants in his enclosure before but I'm pretty sure I got rid of them and those bugs are defenetly not ants

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Them being white means they're probably not mites, which are the only small bugs that I can imagine being a pain.

I get little white bugs in my mulch that seem to thrive on the moisture, but they don't seem to really be a detriment to my tort's health.

Getting them out can be a pain - I know some have frozen or cooked their substrate to kill the bugs, but that requires taking it all out, and who wants to do that? I'd say identify the bugs based on where you live and assess the danger. I'd imagine they're just springtails though, and, if that is the case, they're harmless.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
I think you need to identify the bugs first. For me if only ants, as long as not in large number it is okay.

tifftortoise

5 Year Member
I have found the same thing in mine. I think it is gnat larva. It hasn't bothered my sully. They do look gross though.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
They are probably gnats, I have them in mine after putting in some plants in the enclosure. While they are gross to look at they are harmless,I've have tried numerous home remedies but none have worked so I just leave them alone ,my torts don't seem to care lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are several types of small flies that can inhabit our tortoises substrates. The most common are called "Phorid" flies. All of them are detrivores and are attracted to organic matter in the substrate like leftover food or tortoise poo. Between their food source, warmth and humidity, they are able to reproduce prolifically. They are harmless, even in large numbers and do not bother live animals. I just ignore them.

They are present in the environment and even if you eradicate them, they will just come back in a couple of weeks. Some people like to either "cook", or replace, their substrate every week or two, and this, of course will eliminate them.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I had bugs in my torts coco substrate and i took it all out and just laid down a few towels for a couple days and once all the bugs died I put new coco back in. My bugs were different tho, they were like fruit flies that could jump too??

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
They are out of control in my babies inside enclosure! I was ok with them at first because they would help reduce the mold and keep the substrate clean. But, there are SO many now! I was thinking of going to buy a few brick of the coconut fiber and freeze it for a few days and then replace the old substrate. I'm not sure if this will work like the "cooking" it does but there is no way I can bake that much substrate in my oven!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Why not just nuke batches of it at a time...say, for 1-2 minutes. That will definitely kill the bugs.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
Tom said:
There are several types of small flies that can inhabit our tortoises substrates. The most common are called "Phorid" flies. All of them are detrivores and are attracted to organic matter in the substrate like leftover food or tortoise poo. Between their food source, warmth and humidity, they are able to reproduce prolifically. They are harmless, even in large numbers and do not bother live animals. I just ignore them.

They are present in the environment and even if you eradicate them, they will just come back in a couple of weeks. Some people like to either "cook", or replace, their substrate every week or two, and this, of course will eliminate them.

Can the coco coif be boiled to eliminate any bugs there? Will it influence the PH or produce toxic from the coco coir? I am planning to boil my coco coir, just to prevent any bugs or fungus. But i am doubt, it can be boiled or not, to use it again. Maybe you can give me advice?

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
What about using a steamer on the substrate? With torts removed or course...

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
filbertjonathan said:
Can the coco coif be boiled to eliminate any bugs there? Will it influence the PH or produce toxic from the coco coir? I am planning to boil my coco coir, just to prevent any bugs or fungus. But i am doubt, it can be boiled or not, to use it again. Maybe you can give me advice?

Well, I kinda tried this. Not my brightest moment...

Took the current coco fiber substrate and put it in a large bin. Boiled a big pot of water and poured it over it saturating it. Figured I'd let it sit awhile to cool and poured boiling water on the bowls, hides, rocks, etc. Came back to the substrate. It was still pretty hot but I was impatient. Let me tell you, it's HARD to get the coco stuff out of a bucket of water! Some would settle to the bottom and I'd grab a few handfuls and squeeze all the water out. I thought I would be able to scoop it out with a cup and press the water out....it didn't happen that way! So handful by handful I dug it out of the water. After maybe 10 handfuls the coir got all stirred up and I ad to let it sit or 5-10 minutes to settle again!

I don't think it messes with the PH or produces anything toxic but it was a pain in the butt! Please let me know how you plan to boil it cause my way sure didn't work!

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
Well, I kinda tried this. Not my brightest moment...

Took the current coco fiber substrate and put it in a large bin. Boiled a big pot of water and poured it over it saturating it. Figured I'd let it sit awhile to cool and poured boiling water on the bowls, hides, rocks, etc. Came back to the substrate. It was still pretty hot but I was impatient. Let me tell you, it's HARD to get the coco stuff out of a bucket of water! Some would settle to the bottom and I'd grab a few handfuls and squeeze all the water out. I thought I would be able to scoop it out with a cup and press the water out....it didn't happen that way! So handful by handful I dug it out of the water. After maybe 10 handfuls the coir got all stirred up and I ad to let it sit or 5-10 minutes to settle again!

I don't think it messes with the PH or produces anything toxic but it was a pain in the butt! Please let me know how you plan to boil it cause my way sure didn't work!

Hehehehe,, hmmmm from your experience above i think it will bring a lot of trouble for me after i boil the coco coir. But i will try and after this i will update for you hahahha. Pray for me hahahaha...
Another question, after you boiled the coco coir, is the substrate easier being dry?

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
filbertjonathan said:
Hehehehe,, hmmmm from your experience above i think it will bring a lot of trouble for me after i boil the coco coir. But i will try and after this i will update for you hahahha. Pray for me hahahaha...
Another question, after you boiled the coco coir, is the substrate easier being dry?

My old coco coir is dry easily. I am afraid that after i boil that, it can be dry more easily.

ChuckandAsh

5 Year Member
Ok well I was taking another look at these little white bugs and they jump !!! I was wondering if that changes anything about it being just a Knat or what ever

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Another option I have used in smaller, less biologically managed enclosures is to allow the substrate to dry a little, remove any live plants, any scavenger or other desired animals, remove your tortoises, and then pour hot or boiling water on substrate that has been drying for a few days. This is only a temporary solution, but will kill eggs and larvae in the substrate. Adults will restart the process once the substrate has cooled, so it is only temporary, but it gives you a bit of time if you want it that way and it can be done repeatedly.

I add beneficial nematodes, mantis nymphs, rove beetles, isopods, hermit crabs, earthworms, and bacterial mixes to the substrate for larger non-adult enclosures. Not all of the flies, harmless mites, springtails, and so forth are eliminated, but their numbers are cut down dramatically. For my enclosures, I notice the most dramatic reductions for about two weeks or so following nematode administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.