Heating Pads and Peat Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieofNarnia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
So I am ordering a heating pad for Darwin online tonight. His scutes aren't growing out smoothly so I'm a bit worried he may be pyramiding despite the measures I've currently gone to to make sure he doesn't. Does anyone know how the heat from the heating pad will react with the moss? It sounds really silly, but I have a slight fear of catching something on fire.

My hygrometer (What measure humidity) is also bad as well. It is always all over the place and even with the humidifier IN his enclosure it will randomly pop down to 50-60% humidity. Does anyone know a good brand to go with that i could maybe get on amazon to get free shipping with my heating pad?

As I was typing this he also released a loose stool that was kind of stringy. He has had a bit of a reduced diet, but I was attributing that to a sort of winter-y down period, but this has me a bit worried...

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I don't know anything about the poop or the hydrometer but the heating pad should be fine with the moss. I think most people on here use some type of coir or dirt. I use an undertank heater and coconut plantation soil and it works well. The heating pad also helps the humidity a lot

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Let me know how the heating pad works for you. It sounds like you are putting it in the enclosure with the tortoise or are you using it like an under tank heater?

MaggieofNarnia

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I am planning to put it under the dirt but on top of a piece of plexi-glass as I have him in a plastic christmas tree storage box. I was thinking about putting hid humid hide over it then. I would go for the under tank option if I had an aquarium I could use.

quail

5 Year Member
MaggieofNarnia said:
I am planning to put it under the dirt but on top of a piece of plexi-glass as I have him in a plastic christmas tree storage box. I was thinking about putting hid humid hide over it then. I would go for the under tank option if I had an aquarium I could use.

I use a Kane pig mat on top of my substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.