Heater question

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
I saw that some people put their heater element in the sump pump area (of wet/dry filters). My question is what wattage do you buy? The volume of the sump pump or the actual tank/pond? I was assuming the sump pump volume but wanted to see what others use.

Thanks

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You need to heat the entire water volume. It does not matter how much is in the tank vs. the sump - the combined volume is what you must figure. Plus, I'd size it up from there as with the water circulating between tank and sump, there is more surface area for that total volume than would be in a single tank that size. Plus, I would rather have a heater that can heat the water, then be off most of the time instead of a smaller heater that is on almost constantly.

I have found for my situations, with a separate turtle room, it is cheaper to heat the room, than to heat the water.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
That explanation makes sense. Thanks

From July to September, heating will most likely be off. It'll be in the 90s to 100s.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I also don't worry about the water temp in the turtle tanks from about May through mid Oct usually as I keep my house around 76.

ethan508

Northern Utah
If your tank is really large, consider 2 smaller heaters rather than one big. This is more essential if the room your tank is in is cool enough to cause your animal stress/danger. Here is a good chart on heater size (and like was mentioned use the total water volume; sump + tank).