Heater and cooler vents near enclosure?

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey guys, how is everyone doing? We just moved my 10 year old Russian tortoises enclosure, but it’s right next to a vent. Is that OK, or are we going to have to block it off? Is hot air OK? Can cool air give him a respiratory infection?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Both hot and cool air could mess with humidity and temperature in the enclosure.

You can cover the enclosure or constantly keep an eye on the environment (or block the vents, as you mentioned). If cool air results in cold and damp enclosure - then yes, chances high to get an RI, even with Russians who are resilient to colder temperatures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys, how is everyone doing? We just moved my 10 year old Russian tortoises enclosure, but it’s right next to a vent. Is that OK, or are we going to have to block it off? Is hot air OK? Can cool air give him a respiratory infection?
Is it an open topped table top enclosure or a closed chamber? A closed chamber will be fine next to the vent.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Hello! Both hot and cool air could mess with humidity and temperature in the enclosure.

You can cover the enclosure or constantly keep an eye on the environment (or block the vents, as you mentioned). If cool air results in cold and damp enclosure - then yes, chances high to get an RI, even with Russians who are resilient to colder temperatures.
Is it an open topped table top enclosure or a closed chamber? A closed chamber will be fine next to the vent.
Its an open topped enclosure. I'll keep an eye on the temperature and humidity, but its all good right now. The heater/cooler is not on usually, and it turns on to regulate the temperature. If I see that my torts humidity and temperature is skewed, I'll cover the vents. For now, I'll leave them be. Thanks for the advice!