Heated Night Box

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456177524.023767.jpg

All sealed, next step flooring and heating and uv. Should be finished by the weekend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Cheers Tom, what would you recommend I use for heating? This is more of a winter box as oppose to night box. Cheers

Tell me the dimensions again? And where in the country are you?

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
It's is 12foot by 3 foot and 2 foot tall, (all insulated) I am in the UK. Nottingham.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
At 12'x 3' I'd use the oil filled radiator. I mean, that is what I use and Tom uses them in the 4' x 8' box.

Thank youuu!!! Coolio, I was thinking oil filled too, I do have 2x che that I use in the 8x4 foot at the moment, but I think oil filled will be better, will that be linked through the thermostat? Will also have my UV tubes in there as 'paul' (the tortoise) will be in there a lot (except hot summer days-uk weather is crap)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I plug the oil heater into the thermostat. The heater is always switched ON, dial set to medium heat and then the thermostat is set to 80F. The thermostat clicks on and off which is what turns the heater on/off.

I would not use anything else in the house. No CHEs , no UV lighting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's is 12foot by 3 foot and 2 foot tall, (all insulated) I am in the UK. Nottingham.

Well, I do use the mini radiant oil heaters in my 4x8x2' boxes, so I think that would work for you too. However your climate is constantly colder than mine. We don't get snow here and even cold winter days get up to 12-13C. Our warmer winter days get up to 26-27C with occasional spikes of 32C in January and February. Night temps do occasionally drop below 0C during winter, but the warmer days allow the tortoises to sun themselves to warm up. My area has huge temperature swings from day to night.

You will need to run it for a while to see, and have a back up plan at the ready.

I don't know your climate but from what I understand you have A LOT of cold clammy overcast days. In this case I think using lighting inside your large heated box during the day actually might be a good thing. I have no experience with a climate like that, so this is all speculation. I would love for you to try it all out and then teach me what works in your area for this species.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Thankyou for the advice, I will definitely be using it, I intend to use 2 long uv tubes, hopefully should all be set up tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I will keep you posted.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Well, I do use the mini radiant oil heaters in my 4x8x2' boxes, so I think that would work for you too. However your climate is constantly colder than mine. We don't get snow here and even cold winter days get up to 12-13C. Our warmer winter days get up to 26-27C with occasional spikes of 32C in January and February. Night temps do occasionally drop below 0C during winter, but the warmer days allow the tortoises to sun themselves to warm up. My area has huge temperature swings from day to night.

You will need to run it for a while to see, and have a back up plan at the ready.

I don't know your climate but from what I understand you have A LOT of cold clammy overcast days. In this case I think using lighting inside your large heated box during the day actually might be a good thing. I have no experience with a climate like that, so this is all speculation. I would love for you to try it all out and then teach me what works in your area for this species.

After checking on temperatures for most of the day, I have decided to use my che heaters and it seems to heat it up much quicker and also sustain the correct temp, I was struggling to get above 11 degrees C using just the oil heater, now with the che I am up to a steady 26 (it is currently 10pm and circa -1 degrees C outside, my box being in the garage-it seems to be doing well, I have also put 2x 36" UV tubes in there which also are looking pretty sweet. I plan on monitoring the temps through the night, work tomorrow should be fun! :) (I'm a teacher) ha!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After checking on temperatures for most of the day, I have decided to use my che heaters and it seems to heat it up much quicker and also sustain the correct temp, I was struggling to get above 11 degrees C using just the oil heater, now with the che I am up to a steady 26 (it is currently 10pm and circa -1 degrees C outside, my box being in the garage-it seems to be doing well, I have also put 2x 36" UV tubes in there which also are looking pretty sweet. I plan on monitoring the temps through the night, work tomorrow should be fun! :) (I'm a teacher) ha!!

There is simply no substitute for running a new enclosures and checking all the parameters. Advice from a forum across the pond in nice, but hands on testing is always going to be your number one source of good info in your own enclosure.

Please keep updating us. I like to learn from the experience of others and your situation is new to me. Thanks for sharing with us. :):tort:

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
There is simply no substitute for running a new enclosures and checking all the parameters. Advice from a forum across the pond in nice, but hands on testing is always going to be your number one source of good info in your own enclosure.

Please keep updating us. I like to learn from the experience of others and your situation is new to me. Thanks for sharing with us. :):tort:

Got up and checked on it 3 times during the night all temps were fine, got up to 32 so had to turn it down, we got down to -3 and had a heavy frost. Also checked when I got in from school and it was a steady 28, Seems to be all working fine and hopefully now I'm using 'the foam' insulated method it should bring my electric bills down! Ha

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
All still good this week except I have one sulky tortoise, I am putting it down to them being creatures of habit and his enclosure has changed drastically in size. He has been eating little amounts, I'm sure he will become accustomed soon!! :)

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Hi Tom, all good in closed chamber, quick qn any ideas on how to prevent mould? Each morning I have a small patch of white fur which I am currently getting rid of every morning by wiping it off, is it a case of if not being properly sealed?

Mucho gracias