Heated Crock Hide For Those Chilly Nights

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I made this one for a female hermanns tortoise to see if she will stay active longer this fall while outside. To heat it I am using self regulating heat cable wrapped around the outside, using tape to hold it in place.Picture 2023.jpg Them wrapping it in aluminum foil, this helps to disperse the heat more evenly.Picture 2024.jpg Next is the insulation, using a flexible rubber type normally used for cold applications. a little moisture doesn't lower it's insulation valuePicture 2025.jpgThen the vapor barrier to help keep things dry.This is an embossed peal and stick aluminum jacket. End caps first and then the bodyPicture 2026.jpg Picture 2028.jpg Spray painted it blackPicture 2041.jpg According to my kil-a-watt it will use between 6 to12 watts to keep the inside temperature 15 to 17 degrees F above the ambient surrounding temp.using 75 degrees as a test temp.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice project Len

Id be interested to see a pix once you place it outside and situated. Pouring down rain here this morning, id imagine thst your
" Neck" of the area getting soaked as well.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Nice project Len

Id be interested to see a pix once you place it outside and situated. Pouring down rain here this morning, id imagine thst your
" Neck" of the area getting soaked as well.
Hey Mark, Here is an older one that I made a few years ago. I just set it up yesterday in this spot. It is larger than the one in this thread but is made the same way. The temp gun says the outside surface temp is 59 and inside 74 and 75 depending where you get the temps from.Picture 2042.jpg Picture 2043.jpg As for the rain all we've had is drizzle not even enough to get the concrete wet under a maple tree, took this pic at noonPicture 2046.jpg I will set the new one up in a few days.