Heat source during the night?

AsukaKatzu

Hello, noobie owner here.

I've been researching online in general and have gotten mixed results on this.

I have a 3 year old horsfield indoors. Indoor temp is around 18oc at night. Does there need to be a heat source during the night?
At the moment there is a heatmat and a basking lamp. I see the night needs to go off, for darkness as much as anything, but should I turn the heatmat off overnight too? I'm wondering if turning it off at night would be good preparation for moving outside in the next 2 months or so when the weather is warm enough.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hello, noobie owner here.

I've been researching online in general and have gotten mixed results on this.

I have a 3 year old horsfield indoors. Indoor temp is around 18oc at night. Does there need to be a heat source during the night?
At the moment there is a heatmat and a basking lamp. I see the night needs to go off, for darkness as much as anything, but should I turn the heatmat off overnight too? I'm wondering if turning it off at night would be good preparation for moving outside in the next 2 months or so when the weather is warm enough.

If you are not keeping the enclosure with constant high humidity then there is usually no need for night heat....unless of course you reside in an igloo type environment :p..offer a basking spot at 100 or so, offer a warm area of 8o ish and a cooler end/area that can drop into the early 70's for night time....if you are using high humidity in the entire enclosure 100% of the time--then I would not let the temps ever drop below 80 at any time in any part of the enclosure---if you do, then the tort can fall ill...