Heat psd to warm the water??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connie

5 Year Member
The water I leave out for my tortoise gets SO COLD. Does anyone use a heat pad to warm the water? (use a temp controller to keep is tempid....)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most usually puts it under or near the basking light or a CHE. Mine stays warm because the enclosure is warm. By the way, are you talking about inside or outside?:D

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
The under tank heater will work but you will need to monitor the temperature of the base of the tank, not the water. The heat pad can cause a hot spot which would burn the feet or plastron. I thought about doing this for livingstones bath but even after 3o minutes the water had not dropped below 80, this is indoors by the way. If I was going to do it I would probably take the heat cable and wrap it around the sides of the tub, the heat would disperse more evenly through the water. Interesting idea though.

Connie

5 Year Member
Livingstone said:
The under tank heater will work but you will need to monitor the temperature of the base of the tank, not the water. The heat pad can cause a hot spot which would burn the feet or plastron. I thought about doing this for livingstones bath but even after 3o minutes the water had not dropped below 80, this is indoors by the way. If I was going to do it I would probably take the heat cable and wrap it around the sides of the tub, the heat would disperse more evenly through the water. Interesting idea though.
My enclosure is indoors...
I have two hydro farm thermostat controllers (One for a heat pad in the hide --set at 85.(I got two seperate controller so I can control the heat seperately)..That translates to a 80 degree surface temperature on the cage carpet.The hide bottom is just tempid--just to take the chill out of some of the damp spagum moss.(Damp moss seems to get cold if you ask me in the dark hide) and the other controller for the water dish (Her "pool" I like to call it). The heating pads are infared heat, not just regular heat, which at Big apple says is much better.. It goes thru you instead of just the surface,increase blood circulation and heals...I got these rubbery heating pads from Big Apple Pet supply. The sturdiest heat pads around if you ask me and you can move them around easily. They are not under the tank, they are under the "Pool " itself.
I keep her "pool" on the cool side of the enclosure to cool her off(not chill her),thus the heating pad to make it comfortable.
Her basking area is just that, a basking area,at least that is the way I have it set up. Her pool area just has a florescent uvb bulb. Her pool and pool bottom are just tempid. I have the zoo med tortoise water dish with ramp.It is very thick at the bottom and no way hot or very warm--just tempid, like the water. I really never thought of putting her "pool" under the heat lamp (basking area). I assumed that when they go in the water they want to get away from the heat of the basking light. She seems to like the setup. She DOES bask under the basking light.(stretches out her back legs alot of the time like a red eared slider--Cute!!!)Then goes to the cooler side and into her "Pool" to cool off.

Status
Not open for further replies.