Heat mat question

Plum

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
I have been advised by a long term tortoise keeper to use a heat mat attatched to the top of the tortoise table (on the flap/lid of the hide area) is this safe? I really hope so because he sold me two of them!

If not which ceramic heater do you recommend? I am worried about my torts getting too cold at night as I like to leave their substrate quite damp to allow humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been advised by a long term tortoise keeper to use a heat mat attatched to the top of the tortoise table (on the flap/lid of the hide area) is this safe? I really hope so because he sold me two of them!

If not which ceramic heater do you recommend? I am worried about my torts getting too cold at night as I like to leave their substrate quite damp to allow humidity.
Remind me of which species, and what is the over night low?

Plum

Bristol
Remind me of which species, and what is the over night low?

Different people have told me different species so I am no longer sure - was orginionally told Herman, then told they looked more like spur thighed, checked their legs and couldn’t see the spurs so the reptile shop man told me they are marinated!

Taking both to the vet at the weekend for a check up so will find out for sure then

Over night temp - it is getting to about -1 c outside but in my flat I don’t think it drops below 15 c

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Different people have told me different species so I am no longer sure - was orginionally told Herman, then told they looked more like spur thighed, checked their legs and couldn’t see the spurs so the reptile shop man told me they are marinated!

Taking both to the vet at the weekend for a check up so will find out for sure then

Over night temp - it is getting to about -1 c outside but in my flat I don’t think it drops below 15 c
Care and temperatures for all three species is roughly the same. 15 C at night should be no problem as long as they can warm up the next day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you post pictures of the tortoise we can tell you FOR SURE which species you have.

I wouldn't use the heat mat as you were told to use it. A ceramic heat emitter will do the job, and then you can cover or partially cover the enclosure to help that heat stay inside at night.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

You do have Hermann's tortoises. You posted some pictures in your other post. If you could post better pictures of full top and bottom, we could tell what subspecies for you. I does look like Western Hermanns Testudo hermanni hermanni, from what I did see.

Plum

Bristol
4F67254B-CDB4-41F4-8C8A-2CF9221783FB.jpeg 4F67254B-CDB4-41F4-8C8A-2CF9221783FB.jpeg 4F67254B-CDB4-41F4-8C8A-2CF9221783FB.jpeg
You do have Hermann's tortoises. You posted some pictures in your other post. If you could post better pictures of full top and bottom, we could tell what subspecies for you. I does look like Western Hermanns Testudo hermanni hermanni, from what I did see.

These are the best I have at the moment, can post a picture of the bottom of them when I get home this evening!

6214DC03-26C5-438E-9A3F-2DB0BCF864EE.jpeg 52E91E42-568B-49A4-8DAD-FE557BDF81F7.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
For a good ID, we need to see the whole carapace. The rear of the carapace (4th and 5th vertebrals) have very characteristic markings used in ID. The plastron as well. None of these pictures show any of that.