Healthy shell?

William14

Location (City and/or State)
OR
hey everyone! I’m a pretty new member and tortoise owner still
I recently got the opportunity to take care of a Russian tortoise that is named Raphael

To get to the point, I’m very inexperienced and have been gathering as much info as possible so I can fully take care of my boy Raphael. Something I am unsure of so far is his shell health. I try to take pics and they are always bright and it’s hard to see the true colors and texture of his shell.
Here’s a couple I tried with and without flash
68791B71-D3E0-4ADA-A16C-67F14789F470.jpeg B989BA0B-81FF-472F-B026-D154CB2E8BA8.jpeg 9DBFFAAB-44C7-4D1A-A9C1-52270C825470.jpeg
Can anyone give me advice or maybe put my anxiety to rest about his shell?
As I said earlier I got him from
Someone else and they said he’s about 5 years old, so I more or less got him in this condition and would love to know what I can do to make things better for him! Or maybe I don’t have to? I’m not sure

Any help is appreciated, thank you

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

His shell is fine; he’s done some good growing with his last owner, which is why the lighter rings on the shell may be more pronounced than other tortoise pictures you’ve seen.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Oh, also, if you want more general information, start with the Russian care sheet, you’ve not read it: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/. Pay particular attention to the info on enclosures, as that’s where most new owners have issues.

After you’ve read it, I’d suggest you make a new thread with pictures of your enclosure. If you make additional posts in this thread, you may not get the best answer, as it’s titled specifically about the shell.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Honestly the shell is great, the only thing to make it better would be to give him more baths, but his shell is awesome as is.