He might be cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkElite

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just got the Ecoearth bedding and I mixed it with play sand.
I put his lights back up and let him roam.
I felt the wet bedding and I'm a little concern. I guess you could say i didnt think this through.
will he be able to keep warm? what do i have to do to heat up the area?

Also, the substrate seems to stick to his feet, is this normal?
Plz answer =(

The substrate is also sticking to his feet, is this normal?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
You've made it to wet. I wouldn't leave him on it over night. I'd take it out and spread it out on something to let it dry a bit. You can keep him on newspaper for tonight.

Danny

PinkElite

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you. I will do that

I heard that I was able to keep it damp. can i still do that. how do i know when its not to wet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You probably have it too wet. After you hydrate the block of coconut coir, you squeeze it tightly in your hands to get out the excess water. Then mix it half and half with Playsand (which is dry). The resultant mixture isn't wet, just damp, and the lights quickly dry out the top layer, leaving it damp underneath. So since it seems too wet, just lower the lights so they shine more on the substrate and it will quickly dry out the top layer.

Does your little guy have a hiding place? They usually dig inside their hiding place. I like to place my hides on the cool side of the habitat, and I feed them on the warm side. You can place some larger flat rocks around the feeding station so that the substrate will come off his feet by the time he makes it to the feeding station.

If it still seems too cold in the habitat, maybe your light isn't close enough to the floor. It should be about 12 inches. You can also cover the habitat to keep the cool air from the house from flowing in.

Yvonne

PinkElite

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is Bump's Habitat. . .he is in the rock home atm.
DSCN1253.jpg

I have a thermometer. it usually said 75-80F until today. it went down to 70F hopefully its because i had the lights off.

M

Maggie Cummings

He needs a light at night to keep him warm. I use a black light bulb. There are those who will say that he dosen't need heat at night, but I really disagree with that. So if his temps are dropping below about 75 you need a night light...:) I almost forgot to say that's a really nice way you have him set up...good job!!!

PinkElite

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I can tell he really loves the new substrate. my parents turn on the lights in the morning for me. I woke up and saw him sun bathing. He barely gets out of his house and i saw his tracks all over the habitat. <3
I am going to get him a night light. My uncle told me there was a bulb that didn't give light but gave out heat. i will be looking for those my next paycheck.

M

Maggie Cummings

Just go to Kmart or Home Depot and get a regular clamp light fixture for about $9, then get a black light bulb for about $4. Don't let anybody try to talk you into getting an expensive red light or other king of light. A black light bulb keeps them warm enough and they are cheap...

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
I perfure the red lights or black lights over the ones that give no light, because i used to have one of those but the heat doesn't spread out and it doesn't work that good, but when i got a red light my tort became alot more active.

MansonTheSulcata

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It looks like i had the same water dish as U and the water will actually seep threw and may cause mold at the bottom between the substrate specially with a humid substrate i would check under the water dish often

PinkElite

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well he has a white plate now for his water.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
PinkElite Hi, the bulbs that produce heat and no light are ceramic heat emitters and they are rather pricey. But if Bump is in a place that you don't want any light I would definitely consider it. Your enclosure for him looks great. Though you might want to move his night light to one end so that if he wants to get out of the heat he can.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the red lights cost a lot more. can get very hot, but its a light that animals cant see, so it wont bother them at night.. ( at least mammals) I found 60w black party lights at the Dollar store!

Status
Not open for further replies.