Having trouble opening an eye all the way

kristen0888

20140224_142803(0).jpg20140224_142319.jpgI just got a Sulcata, my first one. It is about 3.5 to 4 inches, and I was told it is about a year old. The poor thing couldn't open it's eye. I was told to soak it as soon as I got home, so I did and his eye did open up about half way. Now, he keeps rubbing it on his arm and it seems a tiny bit swollen. The other eye is fine, it's just the right one. He's active and eats and such. Is there something I should do for his eye? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you using or did the person you got it from use any type of coil bulbs? If so, don't use it any more, or if the other people did, give it some time and the eye will improve. The coil bulbs cause eye problems. In the mean time, give him 2-3 warm water soaks a day for 20-30 minutes. Also, please read Toms threads below for proper care and housing of your sulcata. Hot and humid is the proper way and explained in the threads.

Oh, Hello and Welcome:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristen:

Get a little squirt bottle with a small opening and fill it with saline solution. Flush out the tortoise's eye several times a day to see if maybe there's something in the eye.

Another possibility is that the eye has been scratched and is bothering him.

There's a product sold at pet stores called Vertericyn Eye Gel. It comes in a blue squeeze bottle. This is a soothing gel and will give comfort to the tortoise's eye.

Like was mentioned above, if you're using a coiled compact fluorescent bulb, discontinue its use immediately and buy a different type of UVB. The coiled bulbs cause an eye irritation similar to snow blindness.