Having another...

fracture

Having more than one...

Hi guys, so it's coming up to a year since I first got my tort and I'm afraid I've got the bug and I really want another one.

I've read so much about not introducing a new torts but also read on this page owners having more than one tort and different species mixed together.

Would it ok for me to introduce another tort a year on? My tort is a female I think.

I really want another one also for company for her but I'm afraid of them fighting. How would I go about this?

Lee

fracture

Hi guys, so it's coming up to a year since I first got my tort and I'm afraid I've got the bug and I really want another one.

I've read so much about not introducing a new torts but also read on this page owners having more than one tort and different species mixed together.

Would it ok for me to introduce another tort a year on? My tort is a female I think.

I really want another one also for company for her but I'm afraid of them fighting. How would I go about this? ImageUploadedByTortForum1394103151.672876.jpg

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
RE: Having more than one...

As I learned here in the forum.

Tortoise are solitary animal. They do not need companion unless they are matured and ready to mate. Also some species are not good to have multiple tortoise in same enclosure.

But as a human weakness. The Cow-boy said. Having tortoise are like eating potato chips................ You never can have just one.

So looks like you will get another one.........................hahahahahahaha!![/i]

fracture

Having more than one...

Haha looks like I will be :) ill just have to take extra care and watch them closely for the first few months :)

Lee

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

fracture said:
Haha looks like I will be :) ill just have to take extra care and watch them closely for the first few months :)

Lee

Better idea is different enclosure. You can not provide Extra care and watchful eyes 24/7.

So another enclosure are much better for sure. have fun to select your next Torts.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland

If you buy a new tortoise you need to quarantine it at first anyways. This means a separate enclosure as well. AfterwArds you might as well let them be king/queen of their own territory. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Tortoises are solitary animals. If you do want to get another, you will do better getting two more. They do better in groups of three or more then they will in pairs. This is of course if you have enough space, a lot of space to house more then one.
Also, it is a very bad idea to mix species for many reasons.

fracture

Having more than one...

In happy to get another two as I have read that they should come in groups...

In the pet stores I always see them grouped together so if I bought two of the same species and quarantined them together for a while then introduce them to my first tort that should be ok?

I do have a large garden for them so three should be fine.

Lee

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lee:

Yes, many of us have more than one tortoise and some of us even keep more than one in the same habitat. Let me say, doing so is much easier when you can set them up outside. When they live outside, you can have a much bigger habitat and give the tortoises plenty of hiding places, plants, etc. so they are not always in each others' sight.

When you have to have them indoors, you have to have a much bigger indoor habitat and a lot of folks don't have room for such a big item, so they crowd the tortoises into a smaller space. This usually ends badly for the tortoises.

If you do plan to introduce another tortoise to your existing animal, it should be the same species and after a quarantine period, you would just trash your existing habitat and start over with a brand new one. This way neither tortoise has established that the habitat is his own territory.

Multiple tortoises in the same habitat do better when it is three or more, and not pairs.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Lee
This is a good ( best ) spot to learn and study so why don't you use all that we have here for you . As you have just learned there is a lot more each type of tort then to just run out and get the next tort . Please have fun and learn some more .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally would suggest you wait a couple more years before you add...I mean, you shared that you have had the tort for a year...why not enjoy the tort you have and really gain more experience with the tort, housing and such and actually if you are going to get additional torts in the future for sure---you can use a year or two preparing new tortoise yard outdoors, this way you can set up plants and let them get started, also set up barriers that have time to settle in...I always think there is really no reason to rush...I mean, you are dealing with a critter than is designed to live many many, did I say many, years....:D