Hatchlings from Monterey Bay Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Monterey, CA
Hi All,
Attached are the latest photos of my two sulcata hatchlings and their enclosure. I've had them now for 3 weeks. It's too bad that the breeder whom I bought them from didn't take good care of Hemet's pyramiding shell. At any rate, one of my goals while raising them is to stop Hemet's pyramiding shell as I am constantly keeping their enclosure humid, warmer, substate moist/wet and taking great care of them. If you have any suggestions or inputs, please let mek now. Thanks in advance.

Marcel

Attachments

• Hemet.jpg
    Hemet.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Murrieta.jpg
    Murrieta.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 38
  • HandM.jpg
    HandM.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 44

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I'd venture to guess that both of your torts are young enough that, with proper care, both of them will smooth out over time.

Cute little guys. I like the darker coloring on Hemet's head.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Marcel, looks like you are on the right track to make sure your torts have a wonderful life. Hemet's shell is not that bad and it will get better as he gets older because you are doing the right things..

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
October said:
I'd venture to guess that both of your torts are young enough that, with proper care, both of them will smooth out over time.

Cute little guys. I like the darker coloring on Hemet's head.

LOL...Thanks. The first time I noticed his orange tan face (and Murrieta's back legs are orange tan as well), I almost freaked out (thinking what in the world happend to their skin)....One has been burrowing his face and the other one has burrowing her back legs into the 'wet' coco coir substrate which explains the discoloration of my baby sulcata torts’ skin at the moment. Thank you for the positive input. I hope so. :)

Marcel

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :) Your 2 little ones are very cute, I am sure they will be happier with you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hemet doesn't look too bad. I've seen far worse. They are both nice looking sulcatas. By the time they are juveniles it will hardly be noticeable. I'm glad they found their way to you.

I love the enclosure. The only thing I would change is the water bowl. It looks a little steep and slippery. I've had real good luck with terra cotta plant saucers from Lowes. They have low sides, they are shallow, the offer good traction, and they are really cheap.

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
im glad they are both now in your care now. im sure they will be much much happier and live a long happy life, enjoi !

Status
Not open for further replies.