Hatchling Shell

RTAYLOR540

5 Year Member
Hello All,

As a rule, what are the signs to determine how hard or soft a hatchling Sulcata tortoise shell should be? My torts top shell is hard and does not give, but the bottom middle and the sides have a slight give to them. Hard when tapped but gives with some pressure. Has not seemed to have gotten worse since I got it.

Thanks!

RTAYLOR540

5 Year Member
I use the reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and a zoo med repti basking spot lamp during the day and also try to provide an hour or so every other day at least outside in South Florida sunlight around mid morning.

RTAYLOR540

5 Year Member
No, I have attached a photo of the box below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 20

RTAYLOR540

5 Year Member
Ok, that is good to know. What would be a more suitable UV bulb? Thank you.

sulcata tortoise #1

Location (City and/or State)
California,USA
The reptisun 100 watt is really good because it provides heat, uvb, and uva. You can get from petco for $50. This is a picture of the bulb itself. I highly recommend this. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419219235.709082.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Slight softness in babies is normal. What you describe, sounds normal.

You live in South Florida huh? If it were me, I'd save my $ by not buying/using any artificial UV lighting and just make sure to provide a good hour or so daily outdoors. I can say this because I did it.. Living in SoCal, I never used indoor UV. But I did make sure my torts had great outdoor enclosures and saw enough sunlight ;)
Nothing wrong with using artificial UV (unless it's a coil bulb..) and many in sunny climates choose to offer it anyway and play it safe. Just throwing out my opinion as another option to consider.