Hatchling & protein

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all, I'm just looking for peoples opinion on whether hatchlings should eat protein or not.

I haven't fed my hatchling any protein at all yet, is this correct?

In the wild when hatchlings are hidden away in the undergrowth I would have thought they would come across insects,slugs or maybe the odd worm etc from time to time.

What's your opinion or routine regarding protein intake from the hatchling stage? I'm not talking about chicken or catmeat. Just bugs.

Thanks.

Craig.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi all, I'm just looking for peoples opinion on whether hatchlings should eat protein or not.

I haven't fed my hatchling any protein at all yet, is this correct?

In the wild when hatchlings are hidden away in the undergrowth I would have thought they would come across insects,slugs or maybe the odd worm etc from time to time.

What's your opinion or routine regarding protein intake from the hatchling stage? I'm not talking about chicken or catmeat. Just bugs.

Thanks.

Craig.
I never knew about the "no protein" rule. I've fed my RF babies their weekly protein since the beginning. They love it! The literature that I'd read at the time didn't say anything about restricting protein or anything else on the account of young age. Would sure like to learn more

Pearly

5 Year Member
This is kind of the 'go to' document for red foot care. I can't see anything about no protein for babies in that either. It does say protein should be 10% or less of the diet. For a baby that wouldn't be much at all.

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/
Thanks @JoesMum. Tortoise library and Turtletary were the 2 sites where I got all of my beginners basics. I think @Yvonne G was one who had directed me to the "library" and I had found the Turtletary on my own, or maybe @Redfoot NERD directed me there. Anyhow both sites are great sources for new RF keepers. It also helped to know that the forum was backing the "library" info. You know how it is at the beginnings when you are overwhelmed with masses of conflicting information. I have yet to figure out how to link sites and threads on my mobile devices. I'm just not computer savvy at all, but would love to be able to help the newcomers who decide on RF species

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thanks @JoesMum. Tortoise library and Turtletary were the 2 sites where I got all of my beginners basics. I think @Yvonne G was one who had directed me to the "library" and I had found the Turtletary on my own, or maybe @Redfoot NERD directed me there. Anyhow both sites are great sources for new RF keepers. It also helped to know that the forum was backing the "library" info. You know how it is at the beginnings when you are overwhelmed with masses of conflicting information. I have yet to figure out how to link sites and threads on my mobile devices. I'm just not computer savvy at all, but would love to be able to help the newcomers who decide on RF species
And as for protein, yes, RF's are opportunistic feeders who in fact LOVE animal protein and will even feed of carrion, which is.... gross! But in the wild nothing is unnatural right?!