hatchling flipping over

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Okay, I probably sound like a tortoise "noob" with this question, but Carl flipped himself over today and I was TERRIFIED.

He is in a large rubbermaid container and he was trying to climb up the side of it, and got flipped over. I don't know how long he was sitting like that, but when I came to check on him, he was on his back and wasn't moving. In my mind I was thinking "Oh crap, he's dead!"... he was probably just asleep or something....

but still, what are the odds of him getting seriously injured from flipping over?

In a few days he will be moving to a 40 gallon breeder (with aquarium background covering the bottom four inches all around). Do they not try to climb the glass as much as they do the slightly textured plastic? I know that almost every new tortoise owner probably asks this question but I am TERRIFIED for Carl's safety... how am I going to get anything done at work not knowing if Carl is right side up?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
The rubbermaid may sorta have slanted sides like when i used mine my guy tried climbing it. i switched to a large glass tank no whave the bottoms covered with black tape that way he thinks its a wall. someone else more experienced will answer the rest or answer better for ya goodluck

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it can be very serious. If they do so in the water dish or under the heat lamp, or are like that for a long time...
Sometimes its simply re arranging things so they cant climb on things.. but sometimes.. you cant stop it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Babies usually stop this after a week or two. Just make sure you have an appropriate water dish that is very shallow with low sides.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Make sure he has many nice places to hide, especially if they're placed around the perimeter of the tank.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It can be serious, particularly if it happens in the water dish or under the basking lamp.

Tortoises can learn to right themselves and climb safely and, personally, I think the sooner they learn to do so the better.

Put rocks, bricks or blocks in the enclosure for your tort to practice climbing on. Take them out if you are not going to be around for an hour or more, but otherwise leave them there. You will have several "face plant" and capsize incidents... your tort will have a whale of a time... but it will get vital climbing practice.

Joe is an experienced mountaineer. He can get up steps 5" high and back down again. Sometimes it's a nuisance when I trip over him unexpectedly in the kitchen because he's supposed to be outside, but it's nice not to have to worry about him.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I've had mine three years, he just cannot flip himself back. He tries and tries but to no avail. When he used to do it I used to right him. I left it a while to see if he could but not too long as I could tell he was getting distressed.
Using correct substrate helps, they can wedge their feet better into it. I learnt that the hard way before I found this :)
Like the others say if they get practice then it may help, I don't think Phillip did as a young tortoise before I acquired him. I changed the water dish and put it central, I think he may have flipped off the wall into it, so moving the new dish has stopped the problem. Also shifted things away from the heat source that could cause it too,if I knew he was able id leave things and just let him do it naturally but he just can't.
I've noticed in pet shops there are signs to say they will b fine don't alert the staff, they correct themselves and noticed a lot of the babies do. Practice makes perfect as they say :)

Status
Not open for further replies.