Hatching sulcata eggs

Fruitguy

Location (City and/or State)
mesa,az
my sulcata girl finally laid some eggs. I plan on incubating them inside my seed sprouting little greenhouse that is insulated and always stays at 85-88 degrees -which I believe is perfect hatching temperature. I plan on putting them in a little plastic tub covered in vermiculite -which I've heard is better than Perlite for humidity control. Is that right? BIG QUESTION... Do I seal the tub? I have heard that it is best to seal completely - like they are sealed underground. So I was going to seal the tub using "PRESS AND SEAL" kitchen sealer. OTHER BIG QUESTION...do I need to poke a few pin holes in the plastic to give the eggs some air? Or leave them completely sealed? Or just poke pinholes when the babies start to hatch? Any experiences from anyone that has done it this way? I don't want to do it wrong and kill the eggs/babies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do not seal it. They need oxygen. Read these two threads for a thorough explanation of how to do it correctly so that the babies all survive and thrive. Little details matter a lot.

Questions are welcome. :)

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
You need pin holes for Oxygen to get in or the eggs will suffocate and not make it full term. Put a little hole on each end of the tub and then close the lid. Also I only cover the eggs half way up with vermiculite, yes vermiculite is what to use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks the info. Will do as you suggest
Keep us posted. Questions are welcome.

There is a huge shortage of properly started sulcatas. Almost everyone starts them too dry, wrong media, poor food choices, no daily soaks, no brooder box directly after hatching. Its a wonder any of them survive. If you start yours well, we can help you sell them to good homes here on the forum.

Fruitguy

mesa,az
Keep us posted. Questions are welcome.

There is a huge shortage of properly started sulcatas. Almost everyone starts them too dry, wrong media, poor food choices, no daily soaks, no brooder box directly after hatching. Its a wonder any of them survive. If you start yours well, we can help you sell them to good homes here on the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where on the forum would I find the directions for ''best care''?
Post number two has two thread about the best care for eggs and hatchlings, along with the first steps for babies.

Here is the care for them once they are ready for an enclosure: