Has anyone used a drop cloth for indoor enclosure?

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Has anyone ever used a drop cloth for the bottom of their enclosures? I know most people use pond liner or tarps but the drop cloths used for painting are only around $3 for a giant roll.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Depends on the type of tortoise and how deep the substrate. Russians will dig down and just tear it up. I know because I did this last year in a temporary solution.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those painter drop cloths are usually a very thin mil and wouldn't hold up for long. I buy a roll of the 6 mil plastic for my tort tables.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I tried it purely because i had some left over from decorating. It didn't work well at all and didn't last. I found some water proof membrane stuff in the flooring section of our local diy shop. Its made for going under laminate or wooden floors. Its holding up great, its good and thick and looks just like pond liner, so much so it could be the same stuff in a different packaging but was about half the price.

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Those painter drop cloths are usually a very thin mil and wouldn't hold up for long. I buy a roll of the 6 mil plastic for my tort tables.

If you don't mind me asking, what name brand do you use of the 6 mill plastic? Also how do you keep it down? Staples?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know the brand. I buy it at a home improvement store. I wrap the inside of the table just like a christmas present, making nicely folded, smooth corners. I have it big enough to go up and over the top of the wall, cutting it at the corners so it lays over smoothly, then I staple it to the wood on the outside of the habitat. The substrate keeps it down into the corners where it belongs.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I used the plastic and stapled down, but my Russian has dug through it in places I doubled it up to make it thicker and I thought it seemed real sturdy. Tink on the other hand had different ideas... It's crazy how strong he is. Need to redo the parts he has gone through

Prairie Mom

Strong plastic shower curtain?

I've used those sticky laminate tiles like the ones used for cheap kitchen/bath flooring. Worked great!