Has anyone thought about a supply co-op?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I am not sure where to put this so I put it here and Mods, please, put it where it belongs if not here.

I have a cousin who is in the lighting and sound business. he sets up concert and dance club venues in his spare time. He was looking at my Tortoise set up and asked where I got my lights (this was before I switched to regular bulbs) and told me he could get light bulbs wholesale through his vendors. My question is this: How many people would be interested in a shared purchase in order to buy bulbs for a fraction of the cost? If someone is already doing this, hook a tort lover up please.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What type of lights would these be?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
He has vendors all over and has mentioned being able to get anything including UVB, grow bulbs like the ones used in hydro gardening, LED banks....I guess if there was any particular light bulb everyone liked he could get them. I would do this on my own but there are shipping costs so to order a few equals out to about the same as going to petsmart. But when you order a whole bunch, the price can drop quite a bit. I was thinking about using my tax return to buy as many as I could and selling them on here, but a co-op seems like more fun.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Mmm.. grow bulbs. It does sound like fun. However, as of right now, I'm pretty strapped. I wish us tort peoples were closer together. I'd love to share and exchange stuff (seeds, plants, food, etc) like this. Lemme know if anyone else shows an interest.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wouldn't he still have to ship to one location, and that that person pack and ship out to those who need them? shipping isn't cheap.. time isn't free.. packing materials aren't either...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As Laura mentioned, you would have to ship them all to you. Then you would have to separate them into individual orders, pack them and then ship them out too all of us. We would actually have to pay shipping twice. It would be a great idea if we lived close, where we could pick them up. Years ago, my dog club actually did this with purchasing our dog food. We were able to order buy the hundreds of pounds, actually it was probably thousands. It worked great and got a fantastic deal on the cost. However, we could drive to one place, have our club meeting and leave with the dog food.
Great thought, wish we all lived closer and could participate in this.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I love the idea, but I agree with Wellington.

My bee club used to do that when buying glass honey jars, but we would pick them up in person!