hard urates

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
Hello All,
My rescue Russian, Betty White, came to me with a deformed back end of her shell. She's 5. I got her from a family who's son had got her as a hatchling. The mother admitted she became the primary caregiver, and now the boy is headed off to college.
She gave her lots of fruit and kale:( Anyway...she wouldn't eat the first 3 weeks I had her. Now, she eats great, corrected diet.
I soak her twice a week for 20 minutes. She has a terracotta water dish. I sprinkle calcium twice a week. Her urine has been ok until the last week. It seemed drier. Then, just now I soaked her and she paseed a urate as big around as a chickpea, but half the thickness. It was hard.
My question... at 40% humidity...the other day I slipped sprinkling the calcium and put on WAY more then I meant to.
Could the ball be the calcium? Or do you think it is dehydrated urates?
And yes, I pitched it before I thought to take a picture. But, it looked just like a half a chickpea. White, hard.
She is just as fiesty as ever and eating well.
What do you think?
Thank you for your time.

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Urates form as a result of protein metabolism and not being well hydrated enough. It doesn't have anything to do with calcium. Soaking more often and longer will help prevent stones. More hydration lets more uric acid pass before it can build up into semi-solid, or solid urate stones.

I would soak daily if you can, but every other day for 30 mins will help a lot.