Hard time breathing

Margopolo23

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hey guys I really need help. I’m not sure if I’m overthinking, but my yearling DT looks like he is having a hard time breathing. He eats A LOT, poops fine, and is sleeping fine. He is still active and loves to bask, but this last week I’ve noticed a more labor liked breathing? His whole body and neck moves in unison every time he beaths. Any help or advice is grateful appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys I really need help. I’m not sure if I’m overthinking, but my yearling DT looks like he is having a hard time breathing. He eats A LOT, poops fine, and is sleeping fine. He is still active and loves to bask, but this last week I’ve noticed a more labor liked breathing? His whole body and neck moves in unison every time he beaths. Any help or advice is grateful appreciated!
Where and how are you housing him? Indoors or out?

What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?

What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve and maintain these temperatures?

What size enclosure? What substrate? What humidity levels?

Pictures help too.

Margopolo23

Nevada
Where and how are you housing him? Indoors or out?

What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?

What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve and maintain these temperatures?

What size enclosure? What substrate? What humidity levels?

Pictures help too.
Sorry I kind of freaked out and didn’t add any deets.

He is in an indoor enclosure.

Temps:

Basking - 95-100
Warm-85-90
Low- 75-80
Night- was 70-73 , but I have been leaving the heat emitter on since turbos breathing issue.
*I have a basking light(don’t know wattage) , a lucky herp desert UVB/26 W, and a CHE that is 100W/100V.

- Not sure on humidity but I do spray his enclosure with water daily, and water the grass in the corner to keep humidity up. I have also added a towel over most of the enclosure to keep humidity up.

The enclosure is a 3’ x 2’. Substrate is a mixture of reptibark , coco coir , and some dirt from the mountain(was recommended my owner).

-he has been sleeping under the hot side for the last week, and eating like crazy. He is still pooping daily, yesterday 2x. But my concern is that he looks like he’s straining to breathe, even in his sleep. It looks like he is about to stretch his neck out to eat something, and all his legs move in sequence.

I hope this helps, thank you in advance !!
IMG_0574.jpegIMG_0568.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry I kind of freaked out and didn’t add any deets.

He is in an indoor enclosure.

Temps:

Basking - 95-100
Warm-85-90
Low- 75-80
Night- was 70-73 , but I have been leaving the heat emitter on since turbos breathing issue.
*I have a basking light(don’t know wattage) , a lucky herp desert UVB/26 W, and a CHE that is 100W/100V.

- Not sure on humidity but I do spray his enclosure with water daily, and water the grass in the corner to keep humidity up. I have also added a towel over most of the enclosure to keep humidity up.

The enclosure is a 3’ x 2’. Substrate is a mixture of reptibark , coco coir , and some dirt from the mountain(was recommended my owner).

-he has been sleeping under the hot side for the last week, and eating like crazy. He is still pooping daily, yesterday 2x. But my concern is that he looks like he’s straining to breathe, even in his sleep. It looks like he is about to stretch his neck out to eat something, and all his legs move in sequence.

I hope this helps, thank you in advance !!
All of this sounds great. Here are my comments:
1. The 26W UV bulb. Is that a cfl type? If yes, those should never be used. That might be hurting his eyes and causing some stress.
2. He needs a terra cotta saucer for a water dish. The plastic one is too slick and the sides are too steep. Does he use that?
3. The breathing looks normal to me in your video. Tortoises don't have a muscular diaphragm like most mammals do, and they use their leg muscles to pump their air in and out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's quite normal for the front legs on a young tortoise to move in and out as the baby breathes. They all do it.

Margopolo23

Nevada
All of this sounds great. Here are my comments:
1. The 26W UV bulb. Is that a cfl type? If yes, those should never be used. That might be hurting his eyes and causing some stress.
2. He needs a terra cotta saucer for a water dish. The plastic one is too slick and the sides are too steep. Does he use that?
3. The breathing looks normal to me in your video. Tortoises don't have a muscular diaphragm like most mammals do, and they use their leg muscles to pump their air in and out.
Okay I’ll change the cfl bulb asap. Thank you for letting me know. yes, he will go sit in it from time to time, but I do daily/every other day soaks with him just to make sure he’s hydrated. And okay thank you all for your reassurance and help/advice! I guess I really was overthinking it! We just love this little guy so much lol.

Last edited: