Happy new sulcata owners!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abigail

5 Year Member
We found this tortoise sitting in the middle of a country road. After doing a lot of research we've figured out that its a Sulcata, and are pretty sure its a girl (although we could be wrong!) She is about 12" long and weighs 10 pounds. She has some pyramiding going on, and not to be gross but the poor thing ate a wrapper cuz she pooped out a barcode! We live on 3 acres in the country and have fenced (with boards on the lower half) a nice area for her with lots of different grasses and shade trees. We converted the xxl dogloo into a home for Abigail. We filled it with hay, and she seems to love it cuz she is always inside it! :D We are wondering if we should adopt a second sulcata to keep her company. I know there are tons of tortoise lovers out there that can answer that question.. do they need a companion? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions on adoption of a sulcata. Afterall, we just found Abby walkin down the road. :(

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

You can post pictures of her and we can make sure she is a sulcata and a she. :) Just post top shell (carapace) and bottom shell (plastron) pictures and we'll have a go at telling you what she is.
No tortoises don't need companions, but if you have the room it shouldn't be a problem with getting another tortoise.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Abigail:

Welcome to the forum!!

Where do you live? I'm just curious where your sulcata was found.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hello and welcome. How long have you had her? Sulcata can be escape artists, did you try and find her owner? If you do have a sulata have you researched care for them? The forum is a great source of info. I would love to see a pic of Abigail, she is so lucky you found her :)

abigail

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the welcome messages.. we had no idea there were so many tortoise lovers out there! We've only had Abby for about 2 weeks. We found her in Sheldon, CA. We've been trying to locate her owner with no luck, not sure if she was an escapee or abandoned. We have done a lot of research on Sulcata's and have told the kids that their kids kids will be takin care of her! :p

more pictures of Abby

egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum :)

You can post pictures of her and we can make sure she is a sulcata and a she. :) Just post top shell (carapace) and bottom shell (plastron) pictures and we'll have a go at telling you what she is.
No tortoises don't need companions, but if you have the room it shouldn't be a problem with getting another tortoise.

Danny

im not sure im adding these pictures correctly but here it goes!

Attachments

• Abby.JPG
    Abby.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 44

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh, she's beautiful! What a face!

How cool for your kids to have a such an exotic pet for Show and Tell next year. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. You've got a sulcata. Nice looking one too. Someone near you is bummed. I'd try real hard to find the owners. The pyramiding isn't too bad.

Welcome to the forum.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Shes beautiful but im partial to Sulcatas :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
movealongmosey said:
I doubt anyones too bummed if she's eating wrappers! :p I think she's gorgeous!

The wrapper was probably eaten in transit between the two homes. Mine pooped out a doritos bag once. It either blew in on the wind or someone threw it over the fence.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's obvious she's lost/an escapee. Leave your name around at the local Vets offices and the SPCA and Petco and Petsmart or any other pet shops in the area. She's missing her home and someone is looking for her. Unless they just kicked her out, altho she's not big enough to cause any trouble yet.
In the wild tortoises are loners. They look at other tortoises as competition for the food, or for sex. So she/he does not need any company. If you do get another you would need to quarantine it for about 6 months. Do some research to learn how to care for her/him. Here's a link to a care sheet...keep us posted on her/him...

http://africantortoise.com/

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sulcatacare.htm

abigail

5 Year Member
I finally figured out how to make the pics smaller!.... Are we correct in calling her Abigail? or should we be referring to him as Fernando?! :D

Attachments

• abby3.jpg
    abby3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 12
  • abby4.jpg
    abby4.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 13

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like Fernando to me, however, might still be a tad too small to tell for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.