HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GURU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Everybody join me in wishing Tom a Happy BIG 4-0! A wild party was thrown for him last night...at least I hope it was wild! But, due to a communication breakdown...I didn't find out until the day before (I hate AOL spam folders). By then, I already had a prior commitment! So...let 'em pour! And, hopefully, the birthday boy will fill us in on last night's festivities!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
The big 4-0!! I'll wait for you to get your magnifying glasses to read this.....,

Tapping foot......

Happy birthday!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOM!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks all. The party was a huge success. Over 100 friends and family showed even on a holiday weekend. Some high lights:

My Mom dug out the old photos and found some neat stuff. She made a collage of my life from before birth to now. I was reminded of many things long forgotten. Like my home made turtle Halloween costume from when I was 7 years old. I've spoken before of my love and fascination with tortoises beginning at the age of 5 or 6 with riding, petting and feeding the Galops at the San Diego Zoo, but she found an even earlier photo of my Dad holding me over the wall with my feet touching a huge Galop. The photo was dated Aug. 75, making me just under three years old. I don't remember this trip, but I do remember the one a couple of years later and still can't find the photos from that trip.

At one point our DJ asked my wife and I to say a few words. I related what my buddy had just told me. We were looking at at the huge crowd and he says, "Dude. I had no idea so many people liked you..." I replied, "They don't. There here for the free beer and tacos... :)".

There were times growing up when I felt very hopeless, aimless and worthless. There were times when I felt like I could die and no one would even notice, much less care. To be reminded of just how many people I really do matter to was very heartwarming and uplifting. This was a birthday I will never forget.

I knew we were having a big party, but my wonderful wife had still planned some surprises for me. For those who grew up in the Southern CA area in the 80's or 90's, this next part will floor you. For those who didn't, it might not mean much. I'll explain. Throughout the 80's and 90', and even to this day, there is a radio station out here called KROQ. This station is, and always has been in a class by itself. Their main DJ starting way back in the early 80's was a guy named Richard Blade. My whole generation grew up listening to Richard Blade. He is and was an icon, no, THE ICON, of the era. I was 8 years old when I started listening to him. 3rd grade. People are sometimes star struck over big movie stars. These stars are people who read from a script and do a movie or two a year. I listened to Richard Blade every day for hours at a time and there was no script. To this day my wife and I still listen to him on SiriusXM. Well I've never met the man. I've seen a picture or two in years past, but I really don't even know what he looks like. So my wife leads me into the party with my eyes closed and tells me to open them when we land at the right spot. "Here's your birthday surprise", she says. I open my eyes and there's some dude standing in front of me. I was like, "...umm... Hi." Then the dude says, "Happy Birthday Tom, I'm your DJ for the night and you wife has told me all your favorite bands...". As soon as he spoke my jaw dropped... It took a minute for my brain to catch up, but I went, "YOU'RE RICHARD BLADE!!!" With a big smile, he said "Yes I am. Happy Birthday." The guy was so nice. We was so professional and did a fantastic job with the music and the commentary, but he was just so down to earth and cool. He was genuine, sincere and just all around awesome. He seemed to appreciate all of us, his fans, as much as we appreciated him. From the moment he arrived until the sad time came when we had to help him carry his stuff out to his car, the guy was first class all the way. Words cannot express what a thrill it was to meet and hang out with one of your childhood icons. No matter how bad things were growing up, I always had this guy to listen to. To see him and meet him in person and have him announcing MY name throughout the night was just incredible.

It was a memorable night for all, and I am a lucky man to be surrounded by so many fantastic people.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Happy B-day Tom. I'm huge Richard Blade fan too. He literally MADE bands.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Richard Blade? That's great! I remember KROQ all the way back to the Shadoe Stevens and Rodney Bingenheimer days...when he was promoting this little band from Pasadena...VAN HALEN. Then along came Blade...this suave dude from England! He really pepped up the ROQ...and hosted a bunch of music TV shows...MV3 and America's Top 10 Videos come to mind!

Glad it was a GREAT night! Hats off to Kim for throwing you a beast of a party!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Happy Birthday :) Sounds like you had a Unforgettably great one :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Happy Birthday Tom. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time at your birthday party. You deserve it!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Happy B~ DAY ,,,,, Tom~ ...with many more happy tort~n years to come! :)

JD~

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Happy Birthday Tom!!! Sounds like it was a good one!
I'll assume my invitation was lost in the mail. ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
HAPPY 40 BIRTHDAY TOM Glad you had a great day and a great time. Hate to have to tell you this, but 40 is when if you don't need glasses, you will and the 40 aches and pains start and get worse when you turn 50. Oh, ya, the memory fails just a little too. Now is when you say I am as young as I act, not as young as I feel:p:D.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Did you get any new tortoises for your B-day?

Status
Not open for further replies.