Hand feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
How do I get my leopard to eat out of my hand? He only eats grass pellets and Mazuri! And he won't even touch REAL greens.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I found something that my hatchling absolutely could not resist, and only let him have it if he was getting it out of my hand. Now, every time I offer him something out of my hand, he is more likely to try it over what I put in his bowl, because he always assumes that the really good stuff comes from the hand.

mix some chopped up greens into the mazuri, at first only a tiny bit, then slowly add more and more, eventually he'll get a taste for it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If I were you, I would focus more on trying to get him to eat more types of food before trying to get him to eat out of your hand. When you get to that point, it's really all about how comfortable your tortoise is around you. If you spend a lot of "face time" with your tortoise, he will be more likely to eat out of your hand.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Well he ate some grass pellets from my hand today! And he loved it! (I loved it too!) I'm so happy! Proud owner of a beautiful and friendly Leopard here! :D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah I would have to say that he may need some "tough love" in order for him to start eating a better diet of mixed greens. Ive been lucky in that Cooper and Ophelia both like Mazuri and greens alike.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would suggest no hand feeding, as they get bigger accidents can happen,and some get lazy and will only eat out of your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.