Halogen bulb

Anakin

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
What wattage of halogen bulb would be best in a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft vivarium with baby Horsefield tortoise? One pet shop told me viv was probably too hot but laser temp gun has hot spot struggling to hit 30 so wondered if a 75w or 100w halogen would improve temp, currently using a 50w Komodo basking bulb as supplied as part of full kit. Tortoise has had an issue with possible dehydration which is improving and vet is dealing with currently so trying to gets temps spot on. Thanks

Sa Ga

MN
What wattage of halogen bulb would be best in a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft vivarium with baby Horsefield tortoise? One pet shop told me viv was probably too hot but laser temp gun has hot spot struggling to hit 30 so wondered if a 75w or 100w halogen would improve temp, currently using a 50w Komodo basking bulb as supplied as part of full kit. Tortoise has had an issue with possible dehydration which is improving and vet is dealing with currently so trying to gets temps spot on. Thanks
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Halogen bulbs will cause pyramiding. You want a flood or regular round bulb in a reflector hood. This will be tricky because your viv is too small. Any bulb warm enough to create your basking area is going to over heat the whole thing. This means you will have to add more ventilation, which defeats the purpose of a viv in the first place. I would try to find a low wattage flood bulb. Something around 30-45 watts, and lower it down enough to create a warm basking area under it. Its okay of the viv gets as high 33-34C during the day, as long as it still cools down to around 21C over night.

About the dehydration: Are you soaking daily? Damp substrate? Humid hide? Moderate humidity in your viv?