janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I have two different bulbs that were given to me:

100W R-Zilla Incadescent Day White Light

and

50W Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp which claims to provide UVA rays.

Which if either gives off heat? I can't feel any heat coming from them, but maybe it is not supposed to be that hot to where I can feel it???

I have a halogen fixture and that thing gets hot hot - should I use that one?

How should I use the other two if at all?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use the zoo med basking bulbs everyday 12-13 hours, that is the heat bulb, I am not sure what the other one is? my guess a bigger heat bulb, any how you need to reposition your lamp so that it is shining down on one side and then you will feel the heat. Plus bulbs only last 6mths to a year. Here is a pick of how I position the lamps.

Picture048.jpg

This is a bad pic, the lights are actually laying on there sides and pointing back.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
100W R-Zilla Incadescent Day White Light
This is like your house light bulbs. And do produce some heat and will increase the overall ambient air temperature in your enclosure.

50W Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp which claims to provide UVA raysThe Repti Basking Spot Lamp is the ultimate "Basking Light" for all types of reptiles.The lamp increases the overall ambient air temperature The Repti Basking Spot Lamp also provides beneficial UVA rays that are important to the psychological well-being of all reptiles. The lamp lasts up to 2,000 hours.

UVB Rays are important to able the tortoise to produce vitamin D3. This can be achieved by outside sunlight, a UVB florescent or Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB). Most MVB also provide heat. Two bulbs for the price of one.

Please read the link below it give a better understanding of Reptile lighting needs.
http://www.reptileuv.com/

And this article on:
Congress bans incandescent bulbs
Massive energy bill phases out Edison's invention by 2014
Posted: December 19, 2007
7:18 pm Eastern
© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59298

Status
Not open for further replies.