Hair and impaction?

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
I was soaking my tort today and found a clump of dog hair in his poop. I do live with dogs so I know where it came from but should I be worried? I have heard hair can cause impaction.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They would have to eat an awful lot of hair to become impacted, but I suppose its possible. Through my vet friends, I have seen a lot of impaction cases. Never once a dog hair impaction and everyone here has dogs. If it can happen, it is not common.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
They would have to eat an awful lot of hair to become impacted, but I suppose its possible. Through my vet friends, I have seen a lot of impaction cases. Never once a dog hair impaction and everyone here has dogs. If it can happen, it is not common.
Oh, that is such a relief. Thank you so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
However, if you are letting the tortoise walk the floors of your house that is dangerous and probably how it's getting all the hair. The hair may not cause impaction normally but it can get wrapped around legs and neck and cause problems.
Be sure you never let a tortoise walk the floors of your home, it needs it's own indoor and outdoor enclosure. If this isnt the reason then I would try to figure out how hes getting it