haha fatties feasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

5 Year Member
haha its soo funny to see how my little guys are eating spread eagle and all.

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

and here's a random one of my koi

IMG_2014.jpg

jdub

5 Year Member
its just a little afternoon snack of mazuri diet. i usually feed them some greens and spring mix in the morning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Be careful about putting the babies on such a slippery surface very often. It might cause them to develop leg problems. I've never known what its called in tortoises, but its called "spraddle-leg" in birds.

Yvonne

jdub

5 Year Member
oh.. okkay. i'll take that out tomorrow when they go outside again. the table surface itself is wood though. i just put the card board on there to make it easier to clean. should i just go ahead and put sand and bed a beast as a replacement for the card board? at the moment the table is a wood surface.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Line it with plastic. plastic Drop cloth, tarp or shower curtain and put your substrate in. Then feed them on a paper towell or flat rock.

And I notice your torts names.. m&m... Not sure thats going to happen anytime soon.. and with sulcatas....its not the breed of choice to breed... too many in rescues.. Mine cost a lot to house properly and keep warm. No money to be made here...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How very interesting that all of them have the split and extra scutes!

Yvonne

jdub

5 Year Member
Yvonne,
yep. they are very unique indeed. i just thought i'd buy all the ones with imperfect scute patterns. the dealer offered me a deal which came out to be around 25 dollars each. the reason why he gave me such a good deal on them was because they were the ugly ducklings of the bunch he had.

Laura,
Yah, i didn't realize that there were so many up for adoption. At the time i was very new to the idea of having tortoises and thought it would fun to own some. If i had known earlier i would of totally adopted them instead of buying them. Also, at the time i was joking to my girl friend about naming him that but for some reason she liked the name so we kept it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Slate tiles make a great feeding surface. If the Mazuri gets dried on (or poop!), soak the tile in warm water. I then use a tooth pick for a disposable tool to scrape food or poop off, since I don't mix any human stuff with the tort's equipment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jdub said:
the reason why he gave me such a good deal on them was because they were the ugly ducklings of the bunch he had.

Ha! Just shows how little he knows, huh? I also bought a tortoise (Manouria) with the irregular scute pattern. Those of us true blue tortoise keepers really like the unusual!

Yvonne

jdub

5 Year Member
Yvonne,
Haha yah. I ordered them from this one place located in arizona. I believe its called riparian farms? www.ivorytortoise.com The old man that i ordered from was really nice though. Its amazing how much of a price difference those albino sulcata's are.

Kate,
Thanks for the good info.

-Jason

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I've heard that breeder produces some great tortoises; that's awesome you got a deal because they were thought of as ugly!

jdub

5 Year Member
haha yah. it will be interesting to see the irregular scute patterns when they grow larger. i'm glad they're unique =)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Some people will pay more for that! and I had a goat whos name was Emmy.. m & m.. for mouth to mouth.. she was a very weak baby and i spent the first night with her in the barn with her sleeping on my chest and yes, a few times that night she had to get mouth to mouth to start breathing agoin.... :)

jdub

5 Year Member
oooo.. goats! Baby farm animals are always so cute. At the moment i am attending Cal Poly Pomona and its a really big farm/engineering school. All the baby cows, goats and sheeps are all soooo adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.