Had to reclaim a gulf coast box turtle that is not doing well at all... ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
:( Today I got a call to take-back a Gulf Coast Box turtle I got at a turtle show for a coworker I knew. Seeing the turtle now broke my heart!!! She can barely (if at all) use 1 front leg. The other front leg barely moves. She drags herself around with the back legs. They took her 2 1/2 yrs ago with very clear instructions on how to properly care for a turtle. They knew!!! Her skin is so dry, it is cracking all over. She has large pieces of skin peeling everywhere and cracks. She has issues with both front legs. She has an upper respiratory infection, and dried poop on her bottom. On top of it all, she is light as a feather, and I think she now has MBD. Her shell appears too small for her body. She can't close it, and her bottom sticks out past the back end of her shell. UGH!!! I could scream!! How could someone do this to an innocent animal??? Her answer to me. Sorry.... she only liked worms, so that's all we fed her. STUPID! if your kids only liked cookies, you would not let them only eat cookies. .... I made it VERY clear what her diet, UVB lighting, heat/humidity needed to be. UGH!!! I am going to be trying to find a wheel for under the front of her shell. Not sure if that will work or not? Just trying to rest her legs some. I bathed her, cleaned off the poop, and dead skin, moisturized her skin, gave her veggies to eat, and gave her a dose of Baytril. Any other ideas, after all this damage is done??? I am very open to any help I can get..... I just want her better if it is at all possible... Thanks for all your help! :( I can't believe they had the nerve to say they just wanted what was best for her...... she wouldn't be in this condition if they cared about what was best for her.....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am so sorry for the little one....completely disgusting when people do what they do....then say, "sorry"....wow.

I can not offer any help from personal experience...but the others will come with great opinions and help to offer.....

Just a terrible shame...however, apparently the little one is a fighter...sometimes that allows them the time to get to better conditions...and I hope that is the case for your little one....

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it. I am hoping others will have some great ideas. I was truly appalled!! It made me cry watching her try to walk around in her bath. When I bought her for them. I remember that she was so sweet and pretty when I had her last. The lady switched jobs soon after and I didn't know how to get ahold of her. She did call me once and said she was doing great, but that she only liked worms. I reminded her that she is an omnivore and needs more than just protein. she seemed to listen. OBVIOUSLY NOT!! Sooo very sad....

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
So sad! I like to increase the temps and humidity while nursing a sick boxie (on top of what you're already doing.) If she's not eating you can syringe feed her baby food mixed with pedialite and a little cod liver oil. I think there's a good recipe on Tess Cook's site. If I can help any please let me know!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I haven't had her more than a few hours, so at this point I put veggies in front of her, but am not concerned yet if she hasn't eaten them yet. They said she eats meal worms, and red wrigglers like mad. so, I am assuming at this point that she is eating. Not really a concern yet, although I was hoping for ideas. I am contemplating syringe feeding her pureed veggies with vitamins, and calcium powder. I have also used Science Diet A/D before in a pinch to get them good nutrients and vitamins when they are ill and it has worked well. I didn't know if there was anything better? Thanks for your help! I appreciate it. :)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
My Cleo when she gets picky, I puree moist parrot pellets (Pretty Bird, Kaytee) and put it over the food I want her to eat.
If given the choice she would only eat tomatoes and earthworms.

The pellets have a very strong fruit smell that she can not resist and when it's all over the food she has a hard time being picky. I have a couple parrots, so parrot pellets are always available. Turtle pellets are useless she totally refuses them.

I'm just shooting out idea, I wish I could help more. There are much better experts who are most likely asleep now. You should have better advice by tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck,

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
terryo uses canned venison, also I would not force feed if she is eating on her own. Vitamin bird soaks should also be used.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
That is Awful,
Good luck with her....
Sorry to hear....im suree you will get her up and running! ;)

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Im very sorry why can't people take care of turtles or tortoises properly and that makes me mad, if I was you I would go to the vet and roll out the baby food soaks and keep her with you at all times. That's what I would do and one more question could they not take care of her or were they that lazy to take care of that poor box turtle but good luck to you and your box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.