Habitat- How big for 2 baby boxies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I am looking at getting 2 baby box turtles (maybe about 2 inches?) Can I get away with a 20 gal tank for this first winter?

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
No because they do better outside I recommend a enclosure outside like 5 feet by 5 feet just for nice space for them and to create cool things for them. But outside is best they will do better and mostly anyone thar has them will tell you the same.

surfthesecond

5 Year Member
I think it would be better to keep them inside for the winter. Predators could also get inside the outdoor pen. I think you can make it through with a 20 gal.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I have an 8ftx8ft outdoor enclosure for them (fully secure), when it gets warm again. I am asking about over the winter. They are currently between 1-2inches each.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
surfthesecond said:
I think it would be better to keep them inside for the winter. Predators could also get inside the outdoor pen. I think you can make it through with a 20 gal.

Ok for the winter yes with proper light heating ect. But in spring put them in the enclosure they do way better outside:D even plastic tubs from walmart work for them because I use them :D

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
Thanks Turtle Guru- I am strictly talking about wintering them indoors. I have the appropriate light/heat supplies, I am just deciding on an enclosure for 1 winter indoors. As soon as it gets warm again, they will be outdoors in a fully secure (sides/top) enclosure, like the rest of my torts/turts! :)

Thanks everyone!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
No problem and that sound good but make sure you don't hibernate until they are about four years old if you didn't know but good luck :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, a 20 gallon for the winter will be fine. Baby boxies hide a great majority of the time, because they know instinctively that they are prey and therefore a lot of their time is spent hiding under things and in the substrate. I keep mine in a 20 gallon with organic humus as a substrate, covered in sphagnum moss and leaf litter (I gather it out of my pesticide free yard during the fall ;),) and with several non-toxic plants for them to hide under. I don't have a "hide" per se, but with the leaf litter and a few flat pieces of cork bark, they have plenty of places that they can feel secure.

When they are a bit bigger, you can upgrade to a 30 long (36" X 12" X 16") or a 40 long (48" X 12" X 14") for winter time. For baby box turtles, smaller is actually a bit better than having a huge enclosure. They are very small, and hide well. It doesn't do anyone any good if they dig down in the enclosure and you can't find them!

Here are some pics to give you some ideas. TerryO has some absolutely gorgeous set ups for her boxies, young and old. You should look at some of her pictures.

KristinasPictures413697.jpg

KristinasPictures413910.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.