Guess soaking is universal...

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
doh, the full text (instagram! *shakes fist*) :
  • natgeophoto by @chamiltonjames / Charlie Hamilton James - At six o’clock in morning, a few days ago in the Amazon, I went down to the river to join the Awã for their morning bath. It happened to be ‘bring your tortoise for a wash day!’ About fifty people turned up for the morning bathe in the river but it was the older members of the community who brought their pet tortoises for a wash. They spent a lot of time making sure the tortoises were clean and made sure they swam in the water. They also spent a lot of time inspecting and discussing each other’s tortoises. The Awã, like many indigenous people in the Amazon, keep pets they find in the wild. I have only ever seen tortoises kept to eat and was surprised that these tortoises would not end up being eaten - they are pets for life. The Awã also keep monkeys as pets - the monkey in this shot was not a fan of the water and managed to keep dry. A couple of days before when we had our morning bath it was all - ‘bring your monkey for a wash’ and nobody even had a tortoise. I enjoyed the morning bath very much. For the Awã it's a time to bond the community and make plans for the day. Shot on assignment for @natgeo

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Kool photo! I have a new person to "follow" on Twitter. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Charlie and National Geographic for being there for us all.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow! Lucky tortoises. Some of them get to live, others are eaten. Monkeys too, I guess.
This is an amazing photo. It really hit me, so unusual.
Thanks!

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
They all look so healthy. But something seems strange to me about this. Is it really what he says it is?

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
They all look so healthy. But something seems strange to me about this. Is it really what he says it is?

The Awa peoples are known "pet keepers". I have no doubt the information is accurate.