Growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abberzoo

5 Year Member
Bought a baby Sulcata the end of October of last year... We weren't weighing him from the beginning. We started weighing him in April and he has only gained 1.4oz. Should he be growing faster? What am I doing wrong? I have him in a 2ft x 2ft glass aquarium with both a heat source and a UV bulb. And he is eating a small handful of spring mix every day. He is currently 3.4oz.

Attachments

• image-285608808.png
    image-285608808.png
    265.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image-2193336394.png
    image-2193336394.png
    255 KB · Views: 16

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That is small, but not terrible. There are lots of reasons why this might be occurring. Here are a few possibilities:

1. Care before you got her. Most people keep them too dry and don't soak them enough, in my opinion.
2. Dehydration. How often do you soak? Do you ever cover the top to try to hold in some humidity? A humid hide would help.
3. Diet. Both quantity and quality. Spring mix is fine as part of a varied diet, but not as a sole source of food for months on end. Try some weeds, grass, leaves, cactus, flowers, and Mazuri to make sure all the bases are covered. Does she it it all every day? Maybe you need to offer more or offer that amount twice a day. Sulcatas, like most tortoises, would like to graze all day, given the chance. A weedy, grassy outdoor pen is perfect for this purpose.
4. Sunshine and exercise. Does she ever get outside?
5. Temps. Baby sulcatas need it warm. Even at night. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?

Status
Not open for further replies.