Grown Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
I have been noticing that my Greek tortoise's beak appears to be getting longer. I have tried giving her larger foods to tear but her beak seems to only get sharper. I have tried cuttlebones with my other tortoises with no success. Does anyone have any successful recommendations?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Feed on a slate tile. It keeps their beak worn down. Though, if her's is overly long right now, you might want to get it dremmeled.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with the slate tile. If you have food flush on the surface of it the tort needs to rub it down. Please so provide a picture. If it is already bad, you should get it dremmeled by a vet and then do the slate tile as maintenance. If it gets too long, it can prevent the tort from eating.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Feeding on a hard surface such as slate does work well to maintain the beak length. As part of the regular diet I also make it a point to feed them the whole plant stalk which is usually very hard at the base. Also hard, uncooked vegetables, along with whole cuttlebone for medium to adult tortoises. The constant contact with the harder foods, along with the "biting" and tearing motion of the beak also help in keeping it well trimmed.
Obviously the first thing to do if necessary is to get the beak to a near correct length. I have trimmed the excess growth off very successfully with a dremel tool on tortoises that I have gotten with overgrown beaks. It's easy to do but is best done with the help of another person that can hold the tortoise's head (and body) perfectly still while you trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.