growing slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If I were to purchase a red heat lamp for overnight heating, do i have to get the daylight blue bulb or can i use anyother heat light during the day?

M

Maggie Cummings

This is where it gets a little hard to explain...please remember that this is MY experience, it's how I keep MY animals. Sometimes my husbandry is not acceptable to other keepers, so I am not advising anyone, I am simply repeating how I keep my animals......I have a clamp light fixture with a black light bulb that is on 24/7. I have a 100 watt incandescent bulb in a clamplight fixture that is on for about 5 hours and then I have a 42 inch long fixture with 2 UBV tubes hanging over the habitats that is on the rest of the time. The "sun" lights are on for about 14 hours daily. My big Sulcata, Bob, has a 250 watt Trex bulb for basking that is on for 10 hrs a day, he also has a pig blanket to sleep on and a heater that keeps the ambient air in the shed at 80 degrees. My little colony of box turtles has the Trex bulb and a black light bulb, my Russian has the Trex bulb and various aquatics have Trex bulbs...
I have some single animals who have various types of UVB bulbs and all have the black light bulb for warmth. I have more animals, but I think this gives you a decent idea of how I keep my animals...

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
california
i use the same red heat lamp 24/7 and i have a uvb bulb 11hours a day, so you can use the same heat lamp, i dont think changeing the red bulb to a blue bulb is necesary.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cause i have a regular basking light thats on during the day and he always sleeps under it, then at night i change it to the infrared bulb to keep the heat over night

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i put my lights on a timer from 8a-8pm which is more than long enough for them. one bulb is a exo terra sun glo 100 watt that produces more than enough heat and i have a uva bulb that also on from 8a to 8pm. id suggest for anyone to put on timers its alot more simpler.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Any hardware store or place that sells electrical stuff like extension cords and such (same section usually). Home Depot, Walmart, Target, etc. The simplest ones plug into the socket, then you plug the cord for the lamp into it. There is a dial to set for the time to have it go on and off. About $10 I believe. There might be sales on them right now in the holiday section because some people use them for lights. Those might even be more heavy duty as some are made for outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.