Growing Ghost - My Leo

Greytortuga

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Happy New Year!

I am GreyTortuga, located in Southeast Michigan, and a Leo tortoise owner.

This is my first time posting, but I have used this blog the last two years to navigate purchasing my first Leopard (babcocki) and raising it--Ghost. I wanted to introduce myself and summarize my experience to help others in the future, gather any recommendations and to chat about tortoise things. I included more details towards the end of the post for those who want more context.

Summary

Finding a Leo from a reputable breeder was a challenge, but Will at @Kapidolo Farms was able to give me Gale from his February 2020 hatchling group. Ghost (previously Gale) is almost 2 years old and lives in a 6x2 enclosure (custom made by Eden Enclosures in Michigan), but during the summer Ghost spends a few hours outdoors in a rabbit coop/hutch. Enclosure humidity stays between 65% - 75% and temperatures range from 80F to 90F. I keep handling to a minimum as Ghost is still a yearling and timid, but does enjoy a head rub now and then.

Ghost soaks around 2-3 times a week and eats twice a day a variety of greens, dried Kapidolo 'All Aminos' variety food or soaked Mazuri (weekly calcium powder). Ghost sleeps 70% of the day (not super active) and poos 3 times a week. Sex is still unknown :).

I'll continue to track Ghost's growth, but thus far a steady trend:
  • Hatch (2/20)
  • 6 month old (8/28/20) - 104g
  • 1 year old (2/20/21) - 170g
  • 1.5 years old (8/20/21) - 350g
  • Almost 2 years old (1/1/22) - 474g

A few topics to discuss:
  1. Was there an age where your tortoise started to become more outgoing or active?
  2. With the Michigan winter climate, any recommendations indoor enclosures to accommodate adult size?
  3. Any growth averages to share for Leo babcockis around age 5 and 10? Photos welcomed :)
10_21_Halloween 2.jpg

----------------------------------

Finding A Tort

I grew up with a Redfoot tortoise, but always admired Leopards. Using this site, combined with other research channels, I decided to start searching for breeders around August.

First Attempt; Found a local pet store that had a Leopard hatchling, around 4 months, they had initial concerns about its health as it was not growing and raised in inappropriate conditions, but cleared it for purchase. Brought it home and poor thing died two days later--we named it Zombie (RIP).​

Second Attempt; Searched tortoise blogs and Facebook groups to find a Leopard hatchling before the Michigan weather changed. Not much inventory in September, but luckily Will at Kapidolo Farms had one left in from his February 2020 hatchling group--Gale (all his torts looked great). He was very helpful, patient with my eagerness and overnighted Gale to me in Michigan.​

Gale - (3:53)

Ghost's Life​

Ghost (previously Gale) arrived a little apprehensive from the CA --> MI trip, not eating consistently, not very active, but drinking during the daily soaks. After the vet confirmed Ghost was in perfect health, my panic subsided and I focused on letting it get accustomed to its new home.

Enclosure; Unfortunately, I fell victim to some of the "cool tortoise" homes on amazon, that do not hold heat or humidity well. I tried the wooden tortoise home and used heat bubble/foil wrap over the wire top to trap in the heat and humidity. I hated this because I couldn't see Ghost and it didn't feel sustainable or safe --sold it to a woman with a gerbil.​

Then I took advice from posters here to try the 50 gallon plastic storage bin and made some tweaks--loved it. I cut out holes for the lamps, wired crate to hold the lamps to the cover, added a look through plexiglass and it was perfect until the final enclosure was done being built. I still use this as my "to-go" enclosure in the event I need to transport Ghost.​

Eden Enclosures in Michigan specializes in reptile enclosures, mainly snakes and bearded dragons, but I worked with the owner to make a tortoise friendly version. It’s 6'x2'x2' grey stained plywood, acrylic sliding doors, 3 heat lamp fixtures, one UVB, bottom sealed, removable top screen panels and a removable bottom stand. I decorated the enclosure with a lined bottom with pond liner (easier to clean), orchid bark substrate, planter saucer for water, some rocks, small animal wooden bridges, XL reptile cave, spider plants, eating slate, a ramp, a sealed skull planter and some "toys". I completely clean the enclosure twice a year and do substrate change in between as needed.​

During warmer temperatures, Ghost goes outdoors in a large rabbit hutch for about 2 hours maximum. Since Ghost is still young, I am hesitant to leave outside for extensive times.​

Routine; I use a local reptile vet for Ghost's annual check-up, so far no issues or alarming concerns. The warmer side of the enclosure stays around 90F degrees and the cooler side around 80F degrees and humidity stays between 65%-75%--I wet the substrate and spray the plants. The first year we did daily water soaks in a large concrete mixer tub for 20 minutes; now soaks are twice a week. Ghost poos about twice a week, maybe more if Ghost eats it before I can clean it. During soaks, I use a soft toothbrush to get any poo stuck to the plastron or feet (fun stuff).​

Ghost ventures to the eating slate about twice a day and food options include, but not limited to, escarole, dandelion, romaine, cabbage, leaf lettuce, bok choy, dried Kapidolo 'All Aminos' variety food, soaked Mazuri etc. and I include calcium powder once a week.​

Unsure if it is normal or atypical, but Ghost sleeps most of the day, not very active. In the morning Ghost gets up to eat, drink, look around a bit then goes into hide and does it again in late afternoon. Ghost is intrigued by the dog and likes to charge at him, but the dog is 16 and completely uninterested. I don't handle Ghost much as it is still a yearling, just hoping Ghost will grow to like me ? lol.​

Growth; I try to be consistent with tracking weight on the scale and shell measurements, but I don't always have time. I included the rough data here for those with Leo babcocki who want to compare sizes:​
  • 2/20; hatch
  • 8/20; 104g
  • 10/20; 120g
  • 11/20; 135g
  • 12/20; 156g
  • 2/21; 170g
  • 3/21; 180g
  • 4/21; 202g
  • 5/21; 235g
  • 6/21; 283g
  • 8/21; 350g
  • 10/21; 410g
  • 11/21; 422g
  • 12/21; 445g
  • 1/22; 474g

Photos

Ghost Arrival_9_20.jpg
10_20_Halloween.jpg
11_20_Fall.jpg
12_20_Scale.jpg

3_21_Scale.jpg

4_21_Scale.jpg
5_21_Summer.jpg

1_22_Scale.jpg

Enclosures
Indoor Enclosure_2.jpg

To-Go Tub.jpg

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! Ghost is a pretty leopard. I have a 4 year old leopard that we will have had 2 years in April.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. Ghost is beautiful. If you are using the mercury vapor bulbs that's the culprit of the pyramiding along with not having a steady high humidity in the beginning. Also babcocki's are harder to grow smooth then the other PP leopards.
At 2 years though s/he needs to stay in the high humidity to get the pyramiding to stop.
Daily trips outside in the warm months are good but should be on the ground not a rabbit cage. At about 3 or 4 years s/he can live outside all summer.
I'm in Chicago, same type weather as you. I have a heated shed for winter and in summer they can come and go in and out of the same shed as they please.
Yearly vet visits are not needed and could possibly cause more harm then good as most vets don't have a clue about tortoises. I have had my first one since 2011 and never a vet visit.
Feed the correct diet, provide the proper heat, humidity, and temps and give enough room for proper exercise and they shouldn't need to see a vet.
As an adult s/he will need a shed about triple the size s/he has now insulated and heated. You can also set up a whole room as its enclosure or I have even set up a large pop up green house in my basement.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Ghost is beautiful.
I've only had my leopard for almost 8 years but I think he is between 11 - 14 years of age now. He was found in a field so I've idea of his history before he adopted me. He is now about 14 inches long.
It is a challenge keeping a leopard in the UK climate but he has an adapted room with a heated insulated dog kennel as a hide and lives indoors all year around but has free access to the garden in the summer months. It pays to plan in advance where he will live when he is too big for a viv or table etc.
PA250005.JPG Lola!!

Greytortuga

Michigan
Welcome. Ghost is beautiful. If you are using the mercury vapor bulbs that's the culprit of the pyramiding along with not having a steady high humidity in the beginning. Also babcocki's are harder to grow smooth then the other PP leopards.
At 2 years though s/he needs to stay in the high humidity to get the pyramiding to stop.
Daily trips outside in the warm months are good but should be on the ground not a rabbit cage. At about 3 or 4 years s/he can live outside all summer.
I'm in Chicago, same type weather as you. I have a heated shed for winter and in summer they can come and go in and out of the same shed as they please.
Yearly vet visits are not needed and could possibly cause more harm then good as most vets don't have a clue about tortoises. I have had my first one since 2011 and never a vet visit.
Feed the correct diet, provide the proper heat, humidity, and temps and give enough room for proper exercise and they shouldn't need to see a vet.
As an adult s/he will need a shed about triple the size s/he has now insulated and heated. You can also set up a whole room as its enclosure or I have even set up a large pop up green house in my basement.
Thank you for the quick response! Yes, I have noticed over the last year that as it grows, its not very even between the scutes. I use CHE heat emitters and honestly I think more exercise / activity would help to avoid the pyramiding so any suggestion on how to get Ghost moving please share!

Yes, the rabbit hutch is more like a run (included a photo), so I can keep it safe from predators. A shed is a great idea for the Midwest climate---I will keep doing my research on this because I am thinking about insulating a portion of the garage and building some type of enclosure in there.

Good suggestion on the vet visits, I mainly go for poop checks, but if its not regularly needed I don't mind saving that money :)

1641084421444.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so happy to be able to follow along with one of the tortoises hatched here at Kapidolo Farms North. Ghost is a beauty, but be prepared to see the pretty blonde color to move over and allow black to start growing out. All my babies have started out that way. Glad you've joined the Forum!

Greytortuga

Michigan
Hi and welcome,
Ghost is beautiful.
I've only had my leopard for almost 8 years but I think he is between 11 - 14 years of age now. He was found in a field so I've idea of his history before he adopted me. He is now about 14 inches long.
It is a challenge keeping a leopard in the UK climate but he has an adapted room with a heated insulated dog kennel as a hide and lives indoors all year around but has free access to the garden in the summer months. It pays to plan in advance where he will live when he is too big for a viv or table etc.
View attachment 338444 Lola!!
Thank you for the welcome and for sharing! He is beautiful and huge! Yes, I am trying to plan ahead while Ghost is small to avoid wasting money on housing ideas that will not work and I have to go back to the drawing board. The insulated dog house is a great idea and I have seen some pet stores do that with their sulcatas. I appreciate you sharing :)

Greytortuga

Michigan
I'm so happy to be able to follow along with one of the tortoises hatched here at Kapidolo Farms North. Ghost is a beauty, but be prepared to see the pretty blonde color to move over and allow black to start growing out. All my babies have started out that way. Glad you've joined the Forum!
Thank you so much for the reply Yvonne! Yes, I was very excited to be able to get one of the Kapidolo tortoises! If you have any photos for how you think Ghost might transform please share because its gone from heavy black to more blonde and now I am noticing the black popping back through the growth lines between scutes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have one out in the shed that was very blonde and is not now, but it's starting to get dark and it's cold out there. I'll take my camera with me in the a.m. and get his picture to share. Here he (but I'm thinkin' HE may be SHE) was when I first got him to foster in August of 2019:

Chase's tortoise sengo.jpg

And then in March of 2020:

chasen 3-8-20.jpg

And tomorrow I'll 'edit' this post to include 1/2/22.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for the quick response! Yes, I have noticed over the last year that as it grows, its not very even between the scutes. I use CHE heat emitters and honestly I think more exercise / activity would help to avoid the pyramiding so any suggestion on how to get Ghost moving please share!

Yes, the rabbit hutch is more like a run (included a photo), so I can keep it safe from predators. A shed is a great idea for the Midwest climate---I will keep doing my research on this because I am thinking about insulating a portion of the garage and building some type of enclosure in there.

Good suggestion on the vet visits, I mainly go for poop checks, but if its not regularly needed I don't mind saving that money :)

View attachment 338450
High humidity and not using the mvb light prevents pyramiding.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for the welcome and for sharing! He is beautiful and huge! Yes, I am trying to plan ahead while Ghost is small to avoid wasting money on housing ideas that will not work and I have to go back to the drawing board. The insulated dog house is a great idea and I have seen some pet stores do that with their sulcatas. I appreciate you sharing :)
The dog kennel would only be OK if used indoors or in an insulated heated shed. I wouldn't use it on i's own outdoors in low temps. Tom has some great designs for heated night boxes too

Greytortuga

Michigan
I have one out in the shed that was very blonde and is not now, but it's starting to get dark and it's cold out there. I'll take my camera with me in the a.m. and get his picture to share. Here he (but I'm thinkin' HE may be SHE) was when I first got him to foster in August of 2019:

View attachment 338451

And then in March of 2020:

View attachment 338452

And tomorrow I'll 'edit' this post to include 1/2/22.
What a beauty! I had no idea they could fluctuate between the black. I’m so curious to see the changes Ghost goes through because it has very dark features. We are also waiting to see if it is a he or she ?.

That Leopard is so smooth! I have a hard time distinguishing between the growth vs. pyramiding but I plan to continue to keep Ghost primarily in its humid enclosure for another 2 years at least.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ghost is a beauty! What type of UVB are you using? If it's any of the screw in bulb type you need to change out to a Arcadia HO 5.0 flouresnt tube. Also the CHE is fine for heating but don't use for basking. That will definitely contribute to pyramiding.
I used to live in that part of Michigan. I lived in Royal Oak and Clarkston.

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise. This is Ink. I have had him over 15 years since he was a hatchling. He still had his tooth beak. Great personalities, enjoy

Attachments

• PXL_20210718_170141040.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210718_170141040.MP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Greytortuga

Michigan
Ghost is a beauty! What type of UVB are you using? If it's any of the screw in bulb type you need to change out to a Arcadia HO 5.0 flouresnt tube. Also the CHE is fine for heating but don't use for basking. That will definitely contribute to pyramiding.
I used to live in that part of Michigan. I lived in Royal Oak and Clarkston.
Thank you for the message! I am in the Birmingham area so not too far! I use a Arcadia T5 tube light and have two CHEs; one emits more heat on one side of the terrarium versus the other so there is no real "basking" feature.

I am going to crank up the humidity, but the last 4 months I have noticed the scutes getting more uneven with its growth spurt. Ghost has always had some weird lumpy scutes, but I am trying to keep the shell as smooth as possible!

Greytortuga

Michigan
Cute tortoise. This is Ink. I have had him over 15 years since he was a hatchling. He still had his tooth beak. Great personalities, enjoy
Ink is beautiful! If you don't mind please share his weight/size and any helpful tips :)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
He is about 11.5 inches in length and he is maybe 6 pounds. I don't weigh him. I only know approx. Length I only know when I measured him for a friend. Follow the care guidelines on the forum. I have made mistakes an I not an expert. Just ask questions and wait for an expert to help.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's the picture I promised you. As you can see, all the excessive 'blonde' from earlier is now unable to be determined from the leopard pattern:

Chasen 1-2-22 a.jpg
chasen 1-2-22 b.jpg

He's three years old this year.