Growing from seed

JoeWells

Location (City and/or State)
Morro Bay
Just got my broadleaf testudo seed mix in the mail from tortoise supply. I’m pretty botanically challenged so I might need a few tips. I have some organic potting soul and a bunch of growing pots. I’m on the central coast of California about a mile inland from the ocean. I guess my main question is, would this be a good time to grow outdoors or is the weather not suitable at the moment? Any tips on how to get the best yield from the seeds? There’s no instructions which leads me to believe it’s not rocket science but I don’t want to just throw them in a pot and never have them grow. Thanks everyone, your ALL amazing people31AC3032-1620-4DA7-A66D-5ACD9A5C56D3.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wait until I'm pretty sure we've seen our last freeze of the year. Occasionally that happens in Feb, but usually I feel pretty good by the end of March. This year has been a little weird. A warm dry February followed by a freezing and very rainy March. So odd.

I've never tried to grow it inside, but it does really well for me outside. I get a shovel and churn up the soil. I'll add fertilizer or soil amendments if needed, and churn those in really well. Then I water the heck out if it. I mean really saturate it. Then I'll hand scatter the seeds over my area, and hand scatter about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil on top of the seeds. Then I keep it wet until it all starts sprouting. On a hot dry day in my area, this sometimes means I have to water every hour to keep it from drying out. In your area, I'll bet you'll have a much easier time keeping that soil wet. Warmer weather helps it sprout faster. When the seeds start sprouting I'll let them grow to 12-14" before I take my first cutting. I grab a handful, cut it with scissors, and put it in my bucket. Then I take the bucket around and feed all the torts. This stuff will just keep growing and growing. New stuff will also come up and the mixture changes over time. The first stuff dies off and slower to sprout stuff comes up later. I just keep cutting it and letting it regrow all summer long. It goes kind of dormant in late fall and winter, but then comes back like crazy in spring.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
I can handle that. I got the seeds from a recommendation you had to a previous post, so thank you. There hasn’t been a freeze here for well over a month, and then, it probably only froze a handful of times all winter. I’m guessing I’m safe. If I plant now and it does freeze, will I have to start over?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can handle that. I got the seeds from a recommendation you had to a previous post, so thank you. There hasn’t been a freeze here for well over a month, and then, it probably only froze a handful of times all winter. I’m guessing I’m safe. If I plant now and it does freeze, will I have to start over?
I haven't ever tried, but yes, I think at least some, if not all, of the sprouts would die off if it froze. Maybe some sprouts/seeds are hardier than others and could survive it? I don't know. If that did happen, you'd just have to replant again. Not really a big deal.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Good deal. One last question. When you say scatter the seeds am I just tossing them out there like I’m feeding pigeons or something? Maybe a few seeds per square inch?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good deal. One last question. When you say scatter the seeds am I just tossing them out there like I’m feeding pigeons or something? Maybe a few seeds per square inch?
Yes. That is what I do. I've tried doing a lot of seeds in a small area and also far fewer seeds over a greater area. Both ways worked, and I didn't see much difference once it starts growing. In other words, there is a wide margin of error.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Yes. That is what I do. I've tried doing a lot of seeds in a small area and also far fewer seeds over a greater area. Both ways worked, and I didn't see much difference once it starts growing. In other words, there is a wide margin of error.
Much appreciated. I’ll get on it tomorrow. It’s supposed to rain this weekend so that’ll help with the watering