Growing food indoors...what to plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I just set up a 30 gallon aquarium with compact florescent lights that I'll be using to grow some tortoise food.

What are some good things to plant that will grow fast and do well indoors? I know it's not a huge space for growing but I'm hoping to add a little fresh food to the usual diet. I started some cactus pads that I'll put outside when the weather gets warmer. I was thinking about chia seeds but I'm not sure if they'll last long enough to be worth the space.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Chia will last long if you keep them well watered and lots of sun, which are the exact conditions in a tort enclosure. Dandelions are also good. If your tort eats carrots you can plant those and they don't get much bigger than 2" and the tort can eat them, tops and all!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I plant in plastic tubs. Underbed boxes work great. I keep a few going under a tree outside and as one gets eaten down I transfer to another so the weeds can rebound

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I have red clover and chicory growing in my indoor, along with Timothy grass, a salad mix, dianthus, Irish moss, and several other delectable edibles. I planted a bunch of pumpkin seeds from the torts' pumpkins, and those are sprouting. They LOVE the pumpkin sprouts.
My growing space is pretty large (36x72) and it provides snacks for my torts. I wonder how much space it would take to provide all of their food.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks for the suggestions.

I just ordered 2 pounds of red clover seeds from Amazon for $10. That will give me plenty to plant outside also this spring. I also ordered some Italian dandelion and chia seeds.

I only have one small leopard so I don't need to grow a ton of food. Just wanted a few things I can't get at the grocery store.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Apologies, I just realized I didn't actually answer your question which was related to what to plant vs. How to plant... sigh must be getting old.
For my Russians I usually just plant various weeds mixed with clover. I will pull the seed heads off of weeds whenever I go for a walk and sprinkle them in the tubs. And since they are well... weeds they will grow pretty much anywhere. I have also used a basic birdseed and rooted that, as well as some basic lettuce greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.