Growing dandelion

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
Has anyone had any luck growing dandelions from collecting the fluff and planting? I have a few dandelion here and there but would love to grow more for Sheldon ❤️?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
This reminds me when I was a kid and I got a pot of dirt and planted the fuzz for fun... Nothing grew, ? ? but I'm sure you could. Maybe some people on here have tried, let's wait and see.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Never had any luck from the fluff. Had far more luck just finding a plant and tearing it up and planting the pieces. Ever notice if you mulch-mower dandelions you get a lot more dandelions? I took a "weed seminar" a few years ago hosted by a university professor of agriculture, specializing in weeds and invasive species. He said that dandelions, like many weeds and ground-cover broadleaf flowering plants, have cloning DNA throughout the entire plant. If a leaf, stem, bulb and leaf, or other sizeable chunk of the plant gets situated properly for absorbing nutrients and water, it will grow roots and become a new plant, even if the original piece looks dead.

I recently set up my tortoise's outdoor pen. to be ready for him in the summer, I've shredded a few dandelions, mallow, and other local weeds into the pen and soaked. we'll see what happens in a month or so. Best scenario- I'll have a pen full of tasty weeds. Worst- I have to rake up some rotted vegetation.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Dandelions, for a wild plant, can be darned fussy. Make sure you are planting the wee hard seeds, and not just the fluffy tops.

They grow better on the ground than in containers (though I have seen some lovely container collections). This plant makes a long tap root, so be sure to use a very deep container (or better yet, a roomy raised bed). They like water, but not to soak in it indefinitely...choose a well-draining soil mix (or borrow the dirt where you see them growing well), and water frequently.

Cultivated chicory seeds may be a better bet if you don't enjoy some frustration. =))

Johnny Seed carries a few varieties (have not personally used them):

jeneliza

burton michigan
I just, plant them from the plant itself, I bring some in when it gets cold, and have a danlion garden, I use for food, I also use them in salad, and make a tea, there amazing for people to, they usually regrow in the garden I planted,

jeneliza

burton michigan
One note, don't try to plant in your encloser, they won't be there long lol.tried this so many times, and alot of plants, she rips the whole plant up and it's gone in seconds, till there all gone, lol

L

LasTortugasNinja

One note, don't try to plant in your encloser, they won't be there long lol.tried this so many times, and alot of plants, she rips the whole plant up and it's gone in seconds, till there all gone, lol

Oh, that's exactly my plan. Let him eat whatever will grow in there. Also have plenty of edible plants in pots not within his area. I've got hundreds in my yard as well as a bird nesting sanctuary a mile away (I was given free harvesting permission from the ranger that patrols the wetland - long as I don't go into the nesting area)

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
i
Oh, that's exactly my plan. Let him eat whatever will grow in there. Also have plenty of edible plants in pots not within his area. I've got hundreds in my yard as well as a bird nesting sanctuary a mile away (I was given free harvesting permission from the ranger that patrols the wetland - long as I don't go into the nesting area)
lucky.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
After trial and efforts, I have found them fairly easy to grow from the fluffs. To get them started, they need to have regular water and some shade during the day helps too. Think about how prolifically they grow on lawns. Lawns get watered daily and the fluffs, when they get blown, spread the wealth around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has anyone had any luck growing dandelions from collecting the fluff and planting? I have a few dandelion here and there but would love to grow more for Sheldon ❤?
We've talked about the great dandelion mystery here in years past. No one seems to know the magical formula and conditions to get them to grow on purpose where and when we want them too. I've tried everything and sometimes it works and some times it doesn't. I've scattered millions of collected seeds all over my yards and ranch. Don't know if its made a difference or not. I get some dandelions occasionally, but I got some occasionally before I did anything too.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
It’s amazing how easily they propagate & grow in lawns! Good soil, bad soil, garden beds, mulched areas...etc.

A colander full for our Sully....a bucket a day keeps the green grocer away,

View attachment 291078
That is an amazing amount you got there! I am lucky if we find 5 flowers in a day lol...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That is an amazing amount you got there! I am lucky if we find 5 flowers in a day lol...

And thats only from one small location in our back garden/lawn. I mow more often out front so less blossoms, but still plenty of dandelions.

Funny how both neglected overgrown areas & manicured lawns are able to easily sustain healthy dandelion greens.