Grocery bought food while weeds are growing in?

Astrochelys

Planning to get a Greek Tortoise and was wondering what kind of greens I could use for a food source while waiting for weeds to grow in? Planning to give them mazuri Tortoise diet too and dried weed mixes.

Briannesmith1

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I read that but had some questions. Is it okay to feed exclusively the dried (or rehydrated) mix and mazuri tort chow while they’re growing? And then sprinkle in store bought greens sparingly?

I do not know much about Greek tortoises! I just knew the link would be somewhat helpful. You will have to wait for a more knowledgeable person, sorry.

daniellenc

Maryland
It’s fine to feed a mix of everything. Grocery store greens aren’t the devil and many are quite healthy. The key overall is variety!! Feed a little bit of everything. Mazuri should not be fed daily. They will get spoiled and picky, it’s high in sugar which is bad for Greeks, and is made from corn which is not tort food. Mazuri is a treat.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, it’s fine to use grocery store foods, with mazuri as a supplement, while your other foods grow in.

Good foods for tortoises include the "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radicchio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned.

The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." This is a great food.

Not sure where you live; there may be other options in your area.

daniellenc

Maryland
Yes, it’s fine to use grocery store foods, with mazuri as a supplement, while your other foods grow in.

Good foods for tortoises include the "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radicchio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned.

The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." This is a great food.

Not sure where you live; there may be other options in your area.

My stores "spicy mix" is a staple add in. Thanks for pointing out all the grocery store foods that are great!!