Gritty Urates

yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Hi i have a nine month old hermann got him when he was 5 months and when i first got him i didn't know about soaking and he was fed alot of clacium, like alot 6 days a week. then after having him for two months i started soaking him about 2/3 times a week but he was still fed the same amounts of calcium. It wasn't until about 2 weeks ago i did some more reaserch and now he gets calcium twice a week. I now soak him every day mist his enclosure frequently and spray water on his food every time he dosent get clacium. He also always has access to water and goes into his water bowl quite often.
While he was soaking he peed out some urates today and it was really gritty it looked like the right consistensy but i did not feel like it. Is this becuse he was dehydrated before or am i still doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you post pictures? Also what are you feeding and do you have a water bowl out for your tort? What calcium supplement are you using? What are your Temps/Humidity levels? What lights/heat are you using?
1601128273441.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Calcium has nothing to do with the urates. Urates are a by-product of protein digestion, coupled with a lack of water.

Daily soaks for babies are good. Calcium twice a week should be sufficient with an otherwise good diet.

Part of keeping them hydrated is providing enough ambient humidity, and also areas where they can hide or dig in and make a humid microclimate for themselves.

Read this for more info:

yay14

stockholm
Calcium has nothing to do with the urates. Urates are a by-product of protein digestion, coupled with a lack of water.

Daily soaks for babies are good. Calcium twice a week should be sufficient with an otherwise good diet.

Part of keeping them hydrated is providing enough ambient humidity, and also areas where they can hide or dig in and make a humid microclimate for themselves.

Read this for more info:
His humidity is around 60 to 70 most parts of the day. Do you think hes gonna start getting hydrated now that i am doing things more right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His humidity is around 60 to 70 most parts of the day. Do you think hes gonna start getting hydrated now that i am doing things more right.
That humidity sounds good. Is there also a humid hide? Deep damp substrate that he can dig into?

yay14

stockholm
That humidity sounds good. Is there also a humid hide? Deep damp substrate that he can dig into?
He has some grass that is probably more humid and the substrate is deep enough for him to dig down in. It used to be dryer in his enclosure before i knew the right humidity it was 40 to 60